Mac OS X Lion reinstaller?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedCroissant, Mar 16, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I just realized that I downloaded the OS X Lion reinstaller a few months ago and I was wondering if there was any reason why I wouldn't be able to store the .dmg and then just use it at a later date when I have a machine that is capable of running Lion? I have one now, but I have to sell my iMac and use just my iBook G4.

Basically, there should be no reason why this installer wouldn't work in a couple of years as long as I buy a machine that can and does run Lion, right?

2. simsaladimbamba

There should be no reason for the installer to not work with a compatible Mac several years down the line.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks, sim. And just to be sure, this installer is linked to my AppleID, right? So does that mean that even though I now have the opportunity to get rid of the AppleID I don't like(since I have to sell a bunch of my stuff), that I will have to maintain that AppleID when I choose to reinstall it?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it is not. If you have downloaded the entire install DMG, you can install that on any machine and you will not be asked for your AppleID. It is only when you try to DL the installer either from the Apple Store or from Recovery that you are asked for your AppleID.

5. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's good to know! Thanks.