Mac OS X Lion running under AMaViS Daemon user account?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by aarond12, Sep 25, 2011.

1. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Anyone seen this one:

On my wife's iMac 24" Core 2 Duo, Lion is running quite happily. However, tonight I tried installing an update to an application on her system.

Like normal, during the installation process, the system asked for an administrator password. What was interesting is that the user name was blank (as was the password, obviously). I entered her user name and password, and it wouldn't accept it. Since I have an administrator account on her system too, I entered my information. This was also not accepted.

I went to the System Preferences and went to Users & Groups, just to make sure our accounts weren't demoted to a standard User account. The current user logged in was listed as "AMaViS Daemon"! :eek: Our accounts were listed there too, both as Admins.

We closed all the applications and logged out. The screen with our two user accounts appeared, but wouldn't accept either of our passwords. I rebooted the system and all is well again.

There is almost NOTHING on the Internet about this user account. Apparently this is one of several "hidden" system accounts for Mac OS X Server. Note: It's not the server edition of Lion installed on her Mac.

Any ideas? I don't expect to see this again, but it's an interesting bug...

2. aarond12 thread starter macrumors 65816

aarond12

A possible cause that I need to experiment with more:

I use Screen Sharing a lot. When I connect to my wife's iMac, Lion opens up a new session, even if I log in with my wife's account and she's already logged in. It's not really screen sharing at that point; rather more like opening a new remote session.

I'm wondering if the AMaViS Daemon account is not an artifact of how Lion treats screen sharing. Any ideas?

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Anyone tried setting up postfix in a weird way on the machine?

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Just sounds like a bug, nothing to really worry about.. If there is not much on it, it must not be something to worry about.. Lion is know for weird login issues..

5. aarond12 thread starter macrumors 65816

aarond12

No, can't say I did. This is my wife's computer and, although I have a user account on the machine, I don't use it for strange things. My Hackintosh is used for that. :p

Agreed. This was so strange and bizarre, I had to share it with everyone here.