Mac OS X Lion to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by florante, May 27, 2012.

1. florante macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion has a bunch of new features. But Im a bit worried ML will slow down our MBP (13 inch, late 2011) in terms of its overall performance. Snow Leopard to Lion upgrades which made the color spinning wheel appear more frequent makes me think twice in buying ML upon its release. Any thoughts?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Usually system upgrades are starting to use more resources. I do believe though, that your model supports 16gb of RAM (not 100% sure), so you should be fine. It's us core 2 duo people who should be concerned.

3. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

The majority of people running the ML beta have said it performs faster than Lion and it feels as snappy as Snow Leopard. I have only ever used Lion which I personally think performs very well but will always be happy with a performance upgrade.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'm not dissatisfied with the speed of Lion, I actually don't notice it to be slower. What really bugs me is the RAM usage, which is insane. I really hope ML fixes at least that.

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Hard to say until it's out and people start to use it. You can upgrade your RAM to 8GB however which should be plenty.

www.crucial.com has a system scanner and you can buy directly from them.

6. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

beta testers are stating the are getting faster geekbench scores with ml then lion. system seems faster with better memory management

7. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Mountain Lion will be the upgrade like Leopard to Snow Leopard, which was a great upgrade IMO. I see ML as a Service Pack for Lion, sort of.

At this moment I'm not very happy with Lion, specially with Mission Control! I hope they make it more useful like Exposé.

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I don't see why anyone with a 2011 should be concerned. Your machine should function smoothly for at least a couple of more operating systems. As someone else stated, I have a 2009 C2D and I'm a bit leery but Lion has worked speedy with 8GB of RAM.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The ML developer preview is fast. Running it in a VM and it is faster then Lion.