Mac OS X, MS Office 2011 for Mac, and Exchange problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mlc9, Dec 29, 2010.

1. mlc9 macrumors newbie

I have a user in my company that just purchased a Macbook Air with Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac. Our organization has an Exchange 2003 server. According to Apple's Help on the Mac, Office 2011 only interfaces with Exchange 2007.

Can anybody please tell me if a workaround exists to make what we have work? I want the user to be able to use Outlook 2011 for Mac with our Exchange 2003 server. Can I make it work somehow going through OWA? I have read that using Apple Mail somewhat works, but I want to be able to use Outlook instead. Thanks

2. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You'll need to have your admin enable IMAP on the server. Then you can use that. However, Calendar updates, etc. will not work. So if you get an invite, you'll need to enter it manually. Or, go to the Calendar folder under the IMAP account, double click the invitation, and run it manually to enter it into the Calendar.

IMO MS made a huge blunder on this. I know they're trying to push people to 2007/2010 on Exchange. But there are thousands, if not 10's of thousands, of companies still running 2003 with no immediate plans to go to 2010.

3. mlc9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, IMAP is enabled on Exchange server, but unsure how to set up on MacBook side.

When adding account under Outlook 2011, is it an Exchange account with IMAP/OWA settings (?) or an IMAP account?

4. taigglebing macrumors newbie

In this case, you will need to configure it as an IMAP account, not Exchange.

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Absolutely right.