Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Does the Mac OS x that comes with the iMac have the multiple licenses? I read that if you buy software from Apple you get 5 licences?

I am thinking of buying myself a macbook in a few weeks, since I love my wifes new iMac so much. If the OEM copy is good for 5 licenses then I will wait and get a Leopard Macbook, if not then I will just buy one now as I will have to buy Leopard anyways for the wifes iMac, and I can use one of the 5 licences for my macbook.

Does any of this make sense? Hope so :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The version of OSX that comes with a new Mac is licensed only for that single Mac and in most cases is written specifically for that Mac, ensuring it will not install on another type of machine.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Apple sells family packs (5 licenses) for OS X and iLife.

Yeah, these are the multi-pack licenses that I was thinking about. So, I might as well buy my new macbook asap then, since I need to buy Leopard for this iMac anyways, and i'll just make sure that I buy the multipack license so that i can install it on both machines.

Cheers for the answers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.