Mac OS X on network with WPA=PSK

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willie45, Jan 21, 2008.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I have an iMac intel core duo 2.16 running Leopard 10.5.1 and a MBP with Tiger 10.4.11. These connect to the internet via a Netgear DG834G router into which the iMac plugs directly with an ethernet cable. Also on the network are two pcs and an x Box.

Up until now I have been using a WEP security code but now that I am doing some sensitive things online I would like to upgradge this to WPA-PSK.

Can anyone tell me if this would present a problem given my set up? Even better can anyone give me some instructions on how to do this?

Willie

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

I have the same router, with an imac plugged in with ethernet and a powerbook and a wii connected via wifi. It works perfectly with WPA/PSK, I've been using it for years.

I've no idea on the xbox, but I'd imagine it will work fine. The PCs might give you trouble though if they're on wifi - windows is very flaky when it comes to wireless. If you're lucky, they'll both work straight off with no problems. If not, good luck! ;)

I set a lot of computers up at work, and I can say that mac will work straight away and perfectly around 99% of the time (they'll literally just ask for the password, and that's it). PCs work first time maybe 60-70% of the time, and they're a lot fussier about the router settings (not that it'll affect you on a home router, unless you mess with the advanced settings). Also, vista is worse than xp when it comes to wireless. The drivers aren't so good, and there are known issues with vista and wifi.

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks psonice. I will give it a go tomorrow night.

Willie