Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlevek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
I'm a mac user and I would never use anything else. Macs are simply the best computers. A friend of mine is a PC user and a Mac hater. We're always arguing over which is better. I need some help to make my arguments better, and make him feel like an idiot. His main argument is that Macs are too hard to upgrade. Now I know it's hell trying to get the Hard Drive out of an ibook, but I need a rebuttal. He also claims that a friend of his installed Mac OS X on a PC. He swears it's true. I don't believe him, I always thought this was impossible without some sort of emulator. The only problem is I don't know exactly why it is impossible. Really, I just need reasons why macs are better, and I need technical stuff. Please help me win the argument.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
mlevek said:
I'm a mac user and I would never use anything else. Macs are simply the best computers. A friend of mine is a PC user and a Mac hater. We're always arguing over which is better. I need some help to make my arguments better, and make him feel like an idiot. His main argument is that Macs are too hard to upgrade. Now I know it's hell trying to get the Hard Drive out of an ibook, but I need a rebuttal. He also claims that a friend of his installed Mac OS X on a PC. He swears it's true. I don't believe him, I always thought this was impossible without some sort of emulator. The only problem is I don't know exactly why it is impossible. Really, I just need reasons why macs are better, and I need technical stuff. Please help me win the argument.
Ask him why he needs anti-virus software. :D

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
mlevek said:

This is the wrong way to go through life. Present you evidence, and if he broadens his perspective the better. Macs aren’t better for everything. There are some engineering and modeling programs that only work on WinTell machines, there are rendering programs (RenderMan) that only work well on specialized super computers and there are programs that work best on mac- Adobe CS from my perspective, Mathmatica, and MS Office.

Can't OS X on a PC, unless you have one on the developer computers with the ESID chip on the MB.

This is why I use a Mac. OS X is pretty bullet proof. It crashes less than XP and is easier to administrate. The creative programs that I use work best on a Mac, but there are advantages to PCs. For me, Mac is better- but I also don't have time for constant updates and crashes.

This said, I work as an audio engineer on PCs and don’t mind it much. All of our in house software designers are Mac people that decided to go with PCs for a number of reasons, none of them being support and reliability. Aside from our proprietary editing software, I use PC specific audio and video editing programs by SonicFoundry. I love SonicFoundry’s software, SoundForge and Vegas and great, but I also work with bizarre multi-track recordings. I can, and do edit on my Mac at work, but it is just easier to process all the audio on the same machines.

What I am getting at is Mac’s aren’t better for everybody. Your comparing Apples to oranges, both are fruit, and if one is better than the other, it is more a matter of opinion than fact.

Take the high road.

Do these arguments remind anybody of those childhood arguments as to who was the better superhero?

[Edit]
dsharits said:
Ask him why he needs anti-virus software. :D
Good one. Virus writers are and have tried to write virusus for OSX, but OSX is very robust. It isn't that there isn't a market for creating virusus for the Mac, the first really good one would be quite the feather in a programmer's hat, but it's really difficult. Also, it isn't a bad thing about Windows. A lot of thoes "features" are really features. Windows is built on an open architecture- which means it is very premissive development environment. I am not fencepost sitting, but pointing out that the world can work with multiple OSs and many diffrent kinds of hardware.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Don't waste your time or energy; sounds like he's only doing it to rile you.

Just enjoy your Mac - spend the time you would have used to argue with your friend to produce an iPhoto Book or an iMovie of some things you and your mates have done together - then look smug... ;)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
nowadays most upgrades are external. Harddrives, Optical drives, monitors all can be upgraded on a Mac. RAM too, but internally. Ask him how many times he has upgraded the processor without upgrading his mobo or the other way around? PC upgrades not centered around harddrives, CPU, RAM, or mobo are usually updates such as USB 2.0, firewire, wireless whereas Macs have these built-in - and with the exclusion of USB 2.0 - have been on macs for a while. True you can't get USB 2.0 on your 2002 iMac - but if you had USB 2.0 the speed would still be offset by the older hardware in it and not be that much of an improvement. Upgrading is overrated in the common PC user's head. If a PC user upgrades his video card - within a year I guarantee that he'll have built a brand new machine. The age-old argument that built-it yourselves are cheaper than pre-builts is going away as Dells are now dropping below the price of their components (Dell gets deals on ordering parts in bulk). So building yourself isn't necessarily cheaper nowadays.

And ask him why doesn't he build his own car? A car is just as complex (or maybe less complex) than a computer and by building your own you CAN make one cheaper and definitely make it more reliable.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
hehe whenever PC users go "there's more software for PC" I simply reply
"Yeah like that sweet Ad-Aware program, I wish they had it for mac" :rolleyes:

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
mlevek said:
His main argument is that Macs are too hard to upgrade.
Put on a chrono and time how long it takes you to open any pc desktop case vs. any mac desktop (no iMac :eek:) since the G3.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
redeye_be said:
Put on a chrono and time how long it takes you to open any pc desktop case vs. any mac desktop (no iMac :eek:) since the G3.

lol, I often pop open the office's Quicksilvers when I'm bored...
The G5's are a little more difficult to open - but they are now lockable which is good.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
mlevek said:

At least you CAN get the stuff out of an iBook by popping out the keyboard.

99% of PC laptops require them to be completely disassembled.

Yes, it can be done with an emulator (at 1/15th the speed of your PC), but outside of an emulator it is absolutely impossible.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mlevek said:
He also claims that a friend of his installed Mac OS X on a PC.

He's almost definitely full of it, but it is possible that his friend is privy to the supposedly leaked MacOS X / Intel seed (the leak hasn't even really been confirmed to have happened, and even if it did, it almost certainly does not include adequate drivers for most PCs to run it successfully).

BTW, Eniregnat, is there any conclusive proof yet that the developer Mactels actually do have some kind of ESID?

My advice would be to not waste your time fighting him over this stuff...both of you should use what you want to use.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
A wise co-worker of mine helped me see the light once - I asked him why he prefers linux over OS X and his response was...

"I leave the platform wars for the 5 year olds."

My mentality has changed some since he said this to me as I realized that people will always debate their choice of computing platform, but its not worth my time or energy to "fight" over which is superior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.