Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joewebster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
New York
I would love this product, if instead of iPhone OS, they had used Snow Leopard, so then it's an actually functioning computer, instead of just an oversized iTouch with 3G.

Anyone else agree?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I want to agree.

But if I were to buy one based on my needs - I'd want the longest possible battery life for internet and watching video. I think they've nailed that compromise.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Snow Leopard would run too slow. The iPhone OS is fast and has a very small footprint. It would also need an Intel chip...:rolleyes:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Just think of the hardware required for SL. Then compute the power consumption. The iPhone OS, and the hardware described is going to make this usuable for people who are away from home and desktop computers. Do not think it will replace laptops for those who work on laptops.

Those of us who use a laptop for casual browsing and email, the iPad will be good enough.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
It would also need an Intel chip...:rolleyes:

No it wouldn't. iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X, which in itself is designed to be cross-platform. It's quite possible Snow Leopard is running on ARM, SPARC, Alpha deep inside Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.