Mac OS X on VirtualBox

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iOneTwo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. iOneTwo, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011

iOneTwo macrumors newbie

I just installed Mac OS X on Virtual Box and now I've tried to start, and now I've this problem..

[​IMG]

hardware virtualization is enable

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try using Vmware's fusion or parallels. Both advertise the ability to run Lion in a VM. I'm not sure about VB.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

At work some of us use VirtualBox. I've always had good experiences with it over the last few years. While I'm using it for Win7 on my 2011 MBP I obviously cannot speak from first hand experience with it running OS X.

That said one of the guys does run OS X on his with VirtualBox so I know it's a good solution. I also remember his install went quite easily. Sorry I cannot help.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Erm... VirtualBox doesn't support OS X, so it won't work.

There are some hacks, so that it's basically osx86 in a VM, but even for that VB is not the way to go.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Except for Lion and Server, the OSx EULA does not permit virtualization of OSx.

6. iOneTwo thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Flightfreak macrumors newbie

Apple tries it's hardest... and succeeds a lot.

Apple hates Hackintoshes, and lotsa times they completely fail. It is unstable at best on a VM. I don't recommend it. :apple:

Oh, and i've noticed (by the icon in the top left of your screenshot) you used the FreeBSD (?) OS instead of OSX. When you create the VM, use OSX Server. Although this IS illegal (I think) or maybe it's the EULA and it isnt like a death penalty thing, you shouldn't do it. It's not worth the outcome...

Good luck, and get yourself a Mac, you can run windows on it too! :)

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree with the sentiments in this thread. You can probably find some help at insanelymac or tonymac86 that might apply to getting OS X running in a VM on some other box but we don't discuss that sort of thing here. Apple really wants some degree of control over the end to end user experience and running OS X inside a VM on some other box isn't going to give Apple the control they seek. It violates the license agreement and while Apple may reluctantly tolerate some of the goings on in the hackintosh community, they are not at all interested in seeing iPhone developers suddenly able to do everything in a VM on their Windows box. Trying to get Lion running in a VM on some other box flies in the face of a core part of Apple's business model and I wish you would turn your attention to how to get a (used or new) Mac.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used Snow Leopard in Vmware quite often and its as stable as a real Mac additionally I've built my own Hackintosh and its never once produced a Kernel Panic. Please don't post such falsities if you have no real hard facts to back them up. There are plenty of hackintoshes that are as stable as an actual Mac.

Before Lion, apple allowed Snow Leopard server to be virtualized and you can now virtualize Lion.

I don't think apple hates hackintoshes mostly because if they really did, they'd go to greater lengths to prevent them, like encrypting the boot loader or something to that affect.