Resolved Mac OS X Orphaned files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tiagocc0, Dec 7, 2014.

1. tiagocc0, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

tiagocc0 macrumors newbie

I was using hardlink (https://github.com/selkhateeb/hardlink) to point an important folder to my new google drive folder and my machine crashed. Right now I have no access to OS X so I connected my HDD to a Windows 10 machine with bootcamp drivers installed. I can see all files there, but my senstive folder looks a file, instead of being a folder.. So I can't enter the folder to get the files and I believe the files are still there. Orphaned.

Any suggestions? It could be applications and steps when using Windows or OS X as I'm trying to get access to a mac computer to try to recover those files.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Boot Camp HFS drivers don't know what hard links are. Only Mac OS X 10.5 can access the referenced files/folders.

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Can you simply use the Google Drive web interface to recover (download) your files? Just my initial thought.

4. tiagocc0, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

tiagocc0 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's something I hope to be true.
    But wouldn't the original folder still remain a folder? If both folders becomes different then what you said is true and I'm praying for it to be true!

I was just preparing to start uploading the files so I only got the folder structure but no files..

EDIT: I got the HDD to a friend who have a mac, what Intell said is true, bootcamp doesn't recognize the hardlink, and also both folder become like that.
    Inside OS X I was able to access the folder. Resolved!