Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Mac OS X Labs will be providing a webcast on July 23rd, 2003 of a session called "What's New in Panther Server", presented by Eric Zelenka of Apple Computer:

Mac OS X Server 10.3 builds on the award-winning capabilities of version 10.2 in many important areas. There are substantial improvements in performance and scalability, setup and monitoring, network and directory services, Windows integration and workgroup and desktop management services. It also brings exciting new features to the product like automatic server setup, Open Directory 2, single sign-on, and SAMBA v3. Mac OS X Server 10.3 also includes a powerful VPN server, Postfix-based mail services, QuickTime Streaming Server 5, and the JBoss application server.

Reports of other improvements/changes in Mac OS X Panther Server include: BSD 5, inkjet printer queues, NetBoot improvements, and HFS+ with case sensitivity.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Case sensitivity is bad.

And yes, I'm a UNIX user saying this.

Practically the ONLY good thing about Windows is the fact that the file system is case insensitive. There is no REASON to have multiple files whose file names are distinguished only by case.

Passwords, different story. Case sensitivity is terrific there, as it's the sort of subtlety that an unauthorized user would immediately forget if they somehow had access to a password they shouldn't have (it's not enough to make up for bad password security or bad physical security for a system, but it is enough to slow down an unauthorized access a little and make it a little bit harder).

ghutchis

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Ithaca, NY
Re: Application Server

Originally posted by leo
JBoss??? What about WebObjects?
Does Apple feel embarrassed for it now?

I doubt it. These were "exciting new features" in Panther Server. So there's nothing indicating that WebObjects is disappearing, only that JBoss is an added option.

-Geoff

morgoth

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
St. John's, NF, Canada
Re: JBoss and WebObects

JBoss and WebObjects are competing technologies. It would be Microsoftian to include both.

Maybe they intend to bridge WebObjects to JBoss and make it a commercial extension?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I thought WebObjects was only the design package, you still needed an application server.

And I second the motion that case sensitivity is bad. The usual way I put it is that "case sensitivity is a crime against the user".

I don't like it on passwords either tho, because on PCs, if the caps lock is on, you're messed up.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
I suspect the case sensitivity is something you can temporarily turn on and off. Some pieces of source code have files that are only distinguished by case. Compiling it on a case-insensitive filesystem is annoying, so it would be useful to be able to temporarily turn case sensitivity on, instead of making a disk-image with ufs on it.

tribalogical

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
tokyo, japan
Great list of upgrades and additions.

Do you suppose somewhere in there they'll be upgrading the underlying PDF 'engine'? They're a couple of versions behind now, and it's just starting to be mildly problematic...

I also hope that case-sensitivity is at least delivered with an on/off switch... I like not having to deal with it in general...

tribalogical

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
The case insensitivity of OS X Server was creating huge head aches for sys admins that had to deal with getting OS X Server to work in Linux/*Nix NFS environments. It's a good thing that Apple listened to these sys admins and fixed one of the major stumbling blocks in it's implementation in a cross platform *nix environment.

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
i think there are reasons for case sensitivity

1. Low tech development. You can have multiple development trees in your directory. E.g. you have a webpage that uses the public_html directory in your home dir. You can create a Public_Html dir with copies of the files and work on them in the dir. Then move them over with a small shell script. Or you can have the new files in the current dir (e.g. Index.Html).

2. If you work at a company with document control. You may have no control over the extension, but need multiple work copies in your home dir. newdoc.(outofyourcontrol), Newdoc.(outofyourcontrol) NEWDOC.(outofyourcontrol) may all represent different versions. When you are done working, you rename NEWDOC to newdoc and check it back in.

not great examples, to be sure, but maybe I am mildly right brained so I prefer sorting by letters rather than numbers. So I guess I am in the minority that likes case sensitivity.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by tribalogical
Do you suppose somewhere in there they'll be upgrading the underlying PDF 'engine'? They're a couple of versions behind now, and it's just starting to be mildly problematic...
I've heard "PDF 1.4" thrown around WRT Panther. What that means or whether it's an improvement over Jaguar...I have no idea. :)

HTH
WM

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Re: Re: JBoss and WebObects

Originally posted by morgoth
JBoss and WebObjects are competing technologies. It would be Microsoftian to include both.

Maybe they intend to bridge WebObjects to JBoss and make it a commercial extension?

They don't really compete. WebObjects is an application development and delivery environment. WO delivery is based on J2SE and as such does not have the ability to support Beans and such. JBoss is a J2EE application support environment which handles much more than just WO apps.

The case insensitivity of OS X Server was creating huge head aches for sys admins that had to deal with getting OS X Server to work in Linux/*Nix NFS environments. It's a good thing that Apple listened to these sys admins and fixed one of the major stumbling blocks in it's implementation in a cross platform *nix environment.

Bingo. This has been a real problem for us.

Nozzle

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by tny
Case sensitivity is bad.

On a filesystem that supports UNICODE, case insensistivity is almost impossible.

First of all, on HFS+ right now I can create file names that look *identical* using differing character sets (i.e. mixing greek, cyrillic, and roman character sets) in a file name.

Secondly, it imposes unrealistic limitations for languages or character sets where case can have huge effects on meaning. For instance, some languages may use an upper or lower case characters to denote a part of speach, such as distinguishing singular from plural, subject from object, nouns from verbs, or 1st person from 3rd person. For instance, in some language, it may be impossible to have singular and pluralized filenames in the same directory.

Thirdly, European languages are discriminated against because there are no limitations placed on filenames that use Asian or Middle Eastern character sets.

In an idealized world, a file system should be a storage place for binary data, the filename and metadata should be irrelevant and be abstracted at a higher level, like in a relational database. Then maybe we will see localizable filenames (i.e. one file can show different localized names depending on the preferences of the user) and rich extensible metadata which we don't currently see with today's filesystems.

d1gg3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2003
London
Is Panther Server a superset of Panther Client or what?

Help me out here. Is Panther Server essentially Panther Client with more stuff added or is it completely different?

Or is the server not able to run iApps etc?

Why don't they just have one OS that can be either a server or a client?

Cheers Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.