Mac OS X Recovery Dual boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Navigator98, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Navigator98 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums (apologize me if this is the wrong category to ask)

I have a 27" iMac (late 2009).

Now, I have one Mac OS X Partition with Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and one Bootcamp partition with Windows 7.

Also, I have one DATA partition, which I shrinked from the Mac OS X partition in Windows. I would like to REshrink my DATA partition (like 5-20GB) and create a little partition where I could install another copy of Mac OS X Snow Leopard with my original Install DVD. I would like to use that partition for recovery and clean-up/management...

The problem is, My Mac OS X does NOT detect the DATA partition, it is only visible in Bootcamp...

Now could I just reshrink the DATA partition in BootCamp Windows and go to Mac OS X disk utility to format it as Mac OS X journaled? And do I need to perform any additional actions to make those three bootable partitions? (Mac OS X (main), BootCamp, Mac OS X (for recovery and management use).

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards to everyone,

Navigator98

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, due to the way Boot Camp works, this isn't possible, at least as far as I know. If you monkey with the partition table after Boot Camp is set up, you may very well make your Windows partition unbootable. Your best bet is to make a small (8GB should suffice) recovery USB drive, and boot from that - much like how recovery is handled on the newest MacBook Air models.