Mac OS X Research

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samer2121, Mar 5, 2011.

1. samer2121 macrumors newbie

hi,

I am working on a paper for my Technology and Society course and the topic is about Mac OS X. I need few people to answers few questions for the research. Nothing complicated and of course ill just use the answers for the questions and you will remain anonymous.

Here are the questions:

1- For how long have you been using Mac OS X?

2- If this is not your first operating system, what operating system were you using before Mac OS X?

3- How did Mac OS X affect your everyday activities?

4- What do you use Mac OS X for and how is its uses different than other operating systems?

5- What other technologies do use with the OS? (could be hardware such as a keyboard or a mouse or software such as Parallel)

6- Did you need any extra knowledge, training, or expertise to use Mac OS X? (such as the One to One program)

7- Did you rely on any user guides, owner’s manuals, or any set of instructions to use Mac OS X?

Thank you in advance:):):)

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. Since Tiger came out.

2. OS9, and before that OS7 ;)

3. I'm not sure how it effects my everyday activities because I've never owned a non-Apple computer.

4. General use mostly, very heavy browsing with 15+ tabs, and simulation such as XPlane and Rigs of Rods.

5. I've got several add ons such as iStat Pro, SMC Fan control, Caffeine... With my MBP I use everything built in and with my iMac I use a magic mouse and a magic trackpad and the Apple wireless keyboard :)

6. No, I started using Macs when I was 6 or 7 years old on System 7... It was my dad's old computer and I figured it out for myself.

7. Nope, although I used to read them anyway... Man, what a waste of time that was XD

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

1- I think it's about 7 years.

2- At the time I bought my first Mac I had previously used Windows 95 to XP and Linux (mostly Red Hat). I'm still using Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux today.

3- No real impact, I just use it as I did my old computers.

4- I use it on my home PC for web browsing, hosting media and playing a few games. No work allowed!

5- I use remote desktop to connect to Windows PCs at work, but otherwise just standard apps and games.

6- None - I work in software and was a computer science student at the time, so picked it up pretty easily.

7- Only for using XCode - which I haven't used in a few years now.

Hope that helps.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

1- Since Dec '09.

2- Ubuntu 9.04 and before that, XP.

3- Nothing really changed, I just liked knowing I was more secure as well as the interface.

4- General use with some school work on the side. Experience is just better than using Windows - nothing freezes, stops responding, or any thing else like that. Everything just works.

5- In terms of hardware, I keep the following hooked up most of the time: wired aluminum keyboard, Magic Mouse, TB external hard drive, 320GB hard drive, and a Dell monitor.

6- No, I've had a PC since I was 7, I used Linux for a year, and when it came time to use OS X, I flew through it.

7- No, with my previous knowledge of Linux, navigating around OS X came naturally.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

1- For how long have you been using Mac OS X?

Since 2005

2- If this is not your first operating system, what operating system were you using before Mac OS X?

Windows

3- How did Mac OS X affect your everyday activities?

Made them much much easier.

4- What do you use Mac OS X for and how is its uses different than other operating systems?

Work, random browsing, everything I would use another OS for. It just works better.

5- What other technologies do use with the OS? (could be hardware such as a keyboard or a mouse or software such as Parallel)

Sometimes my bluetooth mighty mouse.

6- Did you need any extra knowledge, training, or expertise to use Mac OS X? (such as the One to One program)

I just google stuff or look Macrumors if I don't know. Pretty easy.

7- Did you rely on any user guides, owner’s manuals, or any set of instructions to use Mac OS X?

Nah, google knows all.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

1- For how long have you been using Mac OS X? Since the day of release. Though it did not replace Mac OS 9 until 10.2 came out.

2- If this is not your first operating system, what operating system were you using before Mac OS X? Apple II operating system (built into the ROM chip). Although I suppose Simon, Speak and Spell and the Atari 2600 technically had operating systems so one of those would be the first though I am not sure which I used first.

3- How did Mac OS X affect your everyday activities? At first it made everything more difficult due to the lack of software vs. OS 9 and how horribly slow it was until 10.2. Otherwise not much, high speed internet has had a greater effect.

4- What do you use Mac OS X for and how is its uses different than other operating systems? Mainly for business customers with Macs feel relaxed when I bring out the Macbook, Windows customers could care less. Windows 7 is my main OS now since I can build a fast gaming rig for cheap I also prefer it's window management.

5- What other technologies do use with the OS? (could be hardware such as a keyboard or a mouse or software such as Parallel) network printers, hard drive multi-adapter, thumb drives

6- Did you need any extra knowledge, training, or expertise to use Mac OS X? (such as the One to One program) No

7- Did you rely on any user guides, owner’s manuals, or any set of instructions to use Mac OS X? No

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Since 2009.

Windows 98 (and Vista).

It was quicker and easier to use than Windows.

Audio production is much better on X due to the high audio latency Windows somehow achives. Other than that, it was just a more stable, quicker and easier to use OS.

Firewire disks, USB devices, USB MIDI Keyboard, Bluetooth.

No.

No.