Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
realityisterror said:
except, of course, that it requires a restart... :(

reality

Man, we are spoiled aren't we ... lol... I love it... That statement just brought back all of those distant, yet painful memories of 2 & 3 reboots a day... I can't believe I managed to get any work done at all...

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Better safe than sorry. BTW, I just love hearing people post things like "Updating now... hope things will be fine." What do you expect? Your computer to turn into a fireball upon restart? :eek: Get real :D

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
jemeinc said:
Man, we are spoiled aren't we ... lol... I love it... That statement just brought back all of those distant, yet painful memories of 2 & 3 reboots a day... I can't believe I managed to get any work done at all...

I never had to deal with a windows machine in any sort of general every day use. But I am quite spoiled by Panther. The only time I restart is for updates from Apple, and it's always a pain in the neck, because I then ACTUALLY have to bookmark websites, instead of just keeping 10-15 of them tabbed like I normally do :D

Tyler
Earendil

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
jemeinc said:

2 - 3 ? MAN YOU WERE LUCKY! I dreaded everytime I moved my mouse under os 9 fearing that upon movement of my hand the cursor would be frozen on the screen and the computer locked up, rending all unsaved work, gone forever. man i love x.

jaronimo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2001
Munich,Germany
yuppa... setting up a system, eh?

insidedanshead said:
2 - 3 ? MAN YOU WERE LUCKY! I dreaded everytime I moved my mouse under os 9 fearing that upon movement of my hand the cursor would be frozen on the screen and the computer locked up, rending all unsaved work, gone forever. man i love x.

You did? Than I'm sorry to say, that you didn't setup your system well. OS 9 indeed was a very stable system for working, at least for my studio it worked and still does very well. It's not that eye-catchy and loaded with abilitys to do everything you maybe want to, but still is a work-horse 24 hours a day for me.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
crees! said:
Better safe than sorry. BTW, I just love hearing people post things like "Updating now... hope things will be fine." What do you expect? Your computer to turn into a fireball upon restart? :eek: Get real :D
Heh...well just to let you know, I downloaded and installed it and everything thing seems to be working fine. ;) :D

Speaking of security, I'm once again glad I don't own a Windows computer, after hearing about that new virus that is going around. :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MacFan25 said:
Heh...well just to let you know, I downloaded and installed it and everything thing seems to be working fine. ;) :D

Speaking of security, I'm once again glad I don't own a Windows computer, after hearing about that new virus that is going around. :rolleyes:
Same here! Installed and restarted - everything seems just fine, even Folding@Home.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jaronimo said:
You did? Than I'm sorry to say, that you didn't setup your system well. OS 9 indeed was a very stable system for working, at least for my studio it worked and still does very well. It's not that eye-catchy and loaded with abilitys to do everything you maybe want to, but still is a work-horse 24 hours a day for me.
That was Mac OS 9's problem - all the third-party extensions you could install to customize your system inevitably lead to extension conflicts, freezes, random crashes, you name it! However, the Classic environment, although still subject to these issues, won't take Mac OS X down, even if it goes down in flames. If you DIDN'T install a bunch of extensions, though, Mac OS 9 was relatively stable (but not as good as Mac OS X).

iHack

macrumors regular
realityisterror said:
except, of course, that it requires a restart... :(

reality

man, the most annoying thing about my intern is he turns of my powerbook at the end of the day (he is a regular windose user). Thanks to the multi-user abilities of OS X he is working happily on my 'book for two days a week, while I work on my iMac. But why he can't remember to just log off and close the lid is beyond me. I actually have to wait for the thing to start up next time I want to use it! ;)

M.

by the way en OT, my 'book is in the shop to have a problem with is video fixed. My LCD monitor won't display the R of RGB when connected to the mini-VGA jack, where it does work fine mirroring my iMac's display. And playing a DVD on my TV through the s-video dongle gives no picture at all, just a little static. The built-in screen is fine, though. Logic board failure anyone?

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
wrldwzrd89 said:
That was Mac OS 9's problem - all the third-party extensions you could install to customize your system inevitably lead to extension conflicts, freezes, random crashes, you name it! However, the Classic environment, although still subject to these issues, won't take Mac OS X down, even if it goes down in flames. If you DIDN'T install a bunch of extensions, though, Mac OS 9 was relatively stable (but not as good as Mac OS X).

Yeah I remember the days of competing with other kids in the dorm over how many extensions we could run simultaneously in System 7 without needing to reboot every couple hours... I think I had something like 25-30 icons appearing at boot just normally though (a couple hundred extensions total, obviously), and didn't have problems, even without running Conflict Catcher. Obviously it would still crash occasionally, but I'd say only about once a day -- and that was System 7! Ran Marathon like a dream...

Of course, under OS X, I have only had to force restart my laptop aboud 3 times, and it has never been turned off in the last 3 YEARS... so suddenly restarts for system software updates become a big hassle! :)

after installing it and repairingg permisions, nothing seems different. but i wasnt expecting anything to change to begin with.

the point is half the people in uni have their computers shot to hell with this new virus and im here, no virus protection, no firewall, and happy as a june bug

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
MacRETARD said:
These are becoming as frequent as M$ patches!

You know what? You're right. I used to think this kind of comment was trolling, but it's true. But you know what else? I don't care. At least our updates come before any problem arises, unlike Windows which required yet another patch this morning to protect against yet another rapidly spreading worm that's already on the loose.

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
Snicker....the comments about the restart are in tune with exactly what I am thinking.

I am very proficient with Windows, but now after I have had my iBook I am spoiled rotten. I dislike the updates just because they are the only reason I ever restart my computer. I love marveling to the curious how all I have to do is shut my computer and wait for the blinking light...and I love hearing their little, "heh, that is pretty cool," after their lack of restart disbelief resulted in a demonstration.

Even more fun, my boss is rendered computerless as a virus/worm has caused all sorts of havoc on her computer. Okay, it is not too funny as she relies on it and we rely on it, BUT it is funny that she allowed herself to be pulled from the Apple world and a TiBook to a heavy Dell. The Apple users here are wowing her with our new iBook and Powerbooks to bring her back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.