Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
can it be installed on any server ready made system?

also where can i find mac os x 10 compatiabe servers?

all i want to do is get a server to put all my music and pictures and movies on it, and have the server run all the time so i can access the data anytime i want.

thanks,
:confused:

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

So I guess not. You can buy an xserve from apple but I dont think you would spend that kind of money. You can always go on ebay and pick up a powermac g4 and put 10 client leopard server. How much is on your budget??

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Yes it must be installed on a Mac.

I would recommend picking up an old PowerMac G4 (unless they have some kind of hdd size limitation).

By the way unless you have a OS X server licence, don't go and spend money on it. You can do it for free with Linux, and regular old OS X will do it fine, the server edition is for more advanced purposes.

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
Yes it must be installed on a Mac.

I would recommend picking up an old PowerMac G4 (unless they have some kind of hdd size limitation).

By the way unless you have a OS X server licence, don't go and spend money on it. You can do it for free with Linux, and regular old OS X will do it fine, the server edition is for more advanced purposes.
I agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.