Mac OS X Snow Leopard Applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dark Void, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hello,

I have been wondering recently if Mac OS X Snow Leopard users that don't upgrade to Mac OS X Lion will see problems with application support for common applications. I know that Lion is only $30, but I really don't see myself upgrading as I enjoy Snow Leopard and that way I suppose that $30 will remain in my pockets (or not go towards an operating system). ; )

I can see that future products, say Photoshop CS6 for example, could require Mac OS X 10.7 when it is released. I am more so wondering about applications that are currently out there, commonly used, and available for download. Applications like Caffeine (to give an example, although I am aware that Caffeine offers a 10.4 download) and the like. Would it be likely to see such common applications lose support for 10.6 when 10.7 comes out?

I am sorry if this all sounds kind of naive, but I only started using Mac OS X a number of months ago and have not been around for a new operating system release. What kind of problems could I run into if I stick to Snow Leopard?

Thanks everyone.

2. simsaladimbamba

Photoshop CS 5 can run on Mac OS X 10.5.8, even as it was introduced during 10.6.
    It will take around a year for mayor applications to fully support Lion and even then, they will still be supported on older systems.
    Until Lion can't use 10.5/6 like Spaces, I will stay off of it. Maybe there will be a hack some day.

3. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

noticed that myself, which was a nice thing to see.

just don't want to get left in the dust, that's all. i'm obviously not that only one not upgrading to lion, and i know that some people still run tiger, but again, never been through a mac os release before. it's good to hear you say that older systems will still be supported.

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Everything becomes obsolete eventually. It's up to each developer to provide support for their individual applications; eventually, Snow Leopard will no longer be supported, but that won't be for a long time.

So don't worry: you'll be fine sticking with Snow Leopard for the forseeable future.

5. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

yes, i figured that it wouldn't be for a while, and do realize that at some point it will be obsolete. this is all seeming quite promising, not feeling as bad for sticking with snow leopard.