Mac OS X Snow Leopard Experience on a 64GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aboo, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Everyone,

I have an older Samsung SLC RBX series 64GB SSD lying around. This was one of the very first generation SSDs to come out on the market. I was interested in installing this in my early 2009 15" MBP, and I wanted to ask how the experience of a limited hard drive (i.e. only 64GB) will be in Mac OS X. I am currently on a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, and have about 50% used with various documents, music, etc. Obviously, I realize that I won't have the same functionality with a more limited hard drive. However, the speed improvement I think will be far worth the decrease in capacity, and I was hoping that someone with experience running Mac OS X on lower capacities drive could chime and let me know of some of the pros and cons.

Thanks!

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

So you are talking about eliminating about 200gb of stuff just to put an SSD in?

What good is a super fast harddrive if you can't even fit enough on it to utilize it?

I say wait it out till the 256gb SSD's drop in price.

Unless you only use your laptop as a desktop, then that's a different story. Because then you can use your scorpio blue as an external.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh..well..the methodology is already as you describe. Keep your installation lean; no unneeded printer drivers or language packs...keep your most important applications on the drive itself and a scant amount of popular media for on the go (unless you have an iPhone/iPod). Everything else can go on a small external drive.

I've stuffed Leopard, Windows 7, Creative Suite MASTER Collection (which comes in at about 12 gb all by itself) , Office 2008, iWork, some documents and a couple of small video files and i've still got around 8 gigs left (more once I clear off the media). Anyone who can't make it work isn't trying, and leaving large video files or things that won't benefit from the quick access would be like buying a Ferrari to go get the groceries.

This is on an 80 gig x25-m.

4. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well not necessarily eliminating 200 GB worth of stuff. A lot of the stuff that is currently on my hard drive are videos and movies, etc. that I don't utilize on a daily basis. My daily uses are mainly power point, excel, word, and mail. I may also need to have a windows 7 install on board (vmware fusion is fine). But overall, nothing too fancy. I just feel that since I have a great SLC SSD laying around, I could utilize it in my current computer.

I would like to put the WD Scorpio Blue drive in an external firewire 800 enclosure and use it to store all my media files, etc. I am just wondering if this is a wise thing to do.

5. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I will attempt this and see how it goes. Project for the weekend!

6. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have a 80GB Intel SSD in my MBP and moved most of the big stuff to a portable hard drive. It is a small price to pay for blistering speed IMO.

7. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve,

Have you been able to keep your iTunes library, etc. on the external drive without any problems?

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

SL takes up like 7GB or something. But Windows 7 takes up around 15GB (at least that what the beta version is taking up on my disk). If you have like 10GB of software, and a few GBs of files it should be ok. You don't want it to be near full though, because OSs tend to slow down when there is little free space.

9. segers909 macrumors regular

I used the optibay alternative on my uMBP with a 64 gb ssd. OS X is on my SSD, as is my program folder, but i moved my home folder to my regular hdd. This way, i only use about 40 GB of my 64 GB SSD, do i not have to worry about my downloads folder getting to big, and do my programs and os x still boot faster since their on my SSD. I spend 100 euro on the SSD, 20 euro on the optibay alternative on ebay and 20 euro for a case to put my optical drive in, so it's external. Total = 140 euro, result = 1 fast as hell macbook.

10. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I'm only using 37GB of my drive, that's with Snow, Adobe Master Suite CS4, Office 2008 all installed. :cool:

11. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You should consider putting your ~/Library folder on the SSD (through an alias or symlink) as it's full of small files that are used often - the very thing an SSD is good at.