MAC OS X Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by sodak, Oct 1, 2011.

1. sodak macrumors newbie

I have been slowly crossing over from Windows to MAC in the house and had a chance to buy a Mac Server off e-bay for a decent price. I now have it and was going to start playing with it (setup and try different services) so I hook it up to a monitor and keyboard. When it boots up it asks for a user-ID and password (which I don't have) and it says under the MAC OS X "litserv".

Did the person that sold it to me not format it before he sent it? and how do I get into it to format it or how can I format it with out being able to get into it? I have both SL server disks and all the books and a paper with licenses. There is not a CD on the server but I have a IMAC running Lion in the other room and a Windos laptop in the same room. I know it is on the my network because I can see it in explorer.

Remember I am new to Mac but am a computer person in general and am more than willing to learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Sodak

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

When you put the disk in, hold "d" (or command-D if that doesn't work) while booting. You should ten be able to open disk utility and then you can format the drive.

3. sodak thread starter macrumors newbie

The server itself doesn't have a CD/DVD. Can I do that using my IMAC or windows laptop

4. mrbash macrumors 6502

There are a few ways of going about this.

1. You can use NetBoot to start your Mac-Mini.

To do that you will need to run a NetBoot server on your iMac. You can make a netboot image from your Snow Leopard Install DVD, and then use that to format the system.

2. You can create a USB boot device (HDD or USB drive).

3. You can bring your Mac-Mini over to your iMac and start it in Target Mode (mac-mini acts like a dumb disk) then install to the mac-min directly.

If you choose an option, we can help you further.

(I'd go with #3).

5. sodak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. After some more exploring on the web, I got it going. I was reading another topic and tried it (getting to a command line and putting in a few lines of code) I rebooted it and it came right up to the setup assistant. I am now downloading lion server to see if it is more user friendly.

Again thanks for the replys and I'm sure I will have more questions

Sodak