Mac OS X Space Saver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teknikal90, Mar 2, 2008.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hey,
    sorry is this had been discussed before...im just a noob and so i dont know what to type in the search bar to come up with my answer...
    i just got a penryn macbook pro....now, before i go on installing all the stuff...i heard somewhere that you can reinstall macosx WITHOUT drivers, languages and such and ill be able to save space....now questions..:
    1. approximately how much space will i save?i have the 200gb HDD....so its pretty space-y...might not be worth the hassle?
    2. i want my ilife 08 suite!if i format...will i lose that?
    3. and most importantly?how do i do this??

thank you all

- p

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

1. I'm not sure.
    2. No.
    3. Boot from DVD 1 and do an Erase and Install. Be sure to select to customise the installation.

There are also tools available which can clean up already-installed systems but they can be problematic. If it's a brand new system then I recommend a complete reinstall from the DVDs.

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

how come the ilife suite doesnt get erased when formatted?

4. AppleMatt389 macrumors regular

They will get formatted but when you do a reinstall of Mac OS X with the DVD's that were included with the computer, the iLife suite will be reinstalled. That's why there are two restore DVD's and not just one like when you buy Leopard alone. So when you do your reinstall you will get the operating system and the iLife suite back, just like when you got the computer at first.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thanks for the replies...but can someone give me an approximation as to the amount of space i will actually recover?
    im still not sure if its worth doing...but then again, since my hdd is only 200gba nd i plan on installing vista on it, every gb counts...
    thanks again

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why don't you go and find out yourself? It'll tell you exactly how much space each component will take up in the add/remove components selection screen.

8. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

It is quite tricky to give you even an aproximation cos you might want stuff which we don't realize you need. however - the reinst without printer drivers will save approx 3gb and languages and fonts are about 1gb.

the smallest you can have it is 6.2gb

I was trying to install on a usb the other day so the numbers are still pretty fresh in my mind.

It is best if you look yourself though. it's very simple to just stick the CD in and just go until the point when you can customize the inst and then you can find out properly rather than just guessing- or getting other people to guess for you. you don't have to format you just quit the installer and restart.