Mac OS X "Startup Splash" missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ragu82, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Ragu82 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to know if anybody noticed that the startup splash with the blue progress bar is missing from Leopard. ?????

2. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

yeah, i noticed this also... I think maybe it'll only show up when there are multiple accounts or if you use a password to log in.

3. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

No. It is just gone. Done three updates now. All worked, but no splash screen.

Real brown trousers experience if you are expecting to see it and you are thinking your system has croaked... I expect we will see it return with the first update as a reassurance to users who think their system is dead.

I noticed with the new update mechanism that (at least for some updates that require a restart) it applies the update after switching the UI off. I know that a common cause of screwed up updates were down to people messing with their systems during an update. Looks like Apple have taken steps to cut down on their support calls ;)

4. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

It used to be there because systems took a while to boot, but recently it just flicked by in an instant. It became unnecessary, and they removed it completely, its only a few seconds till your dock and desktop arrive anyway.

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I've got three systems here - ranging from a G4 Mac Mini to a Mac Pro.

They all sit on a blank blue screen for 20-30 seconds on startup where before there was a splash screen with a progress bar in Tiger that showed before the login dialog.

Once past the login things pop up real quick, but before that it is quite unnerving sitting there wondering if the thing is going to fire up. Sure you can get used to it, but just after a major OS update it is NOT user friendly to have things just sit there with no indication of anything working.

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

you mean like the boom boom kzang wing wing kaching rrr mamba thcike tza kreeek boooooom sound?? noo it's great!

7. Ragu82 thread starter macrumors newbie

noticed it takes about twice as long on my macbook with leopard to start up than my girlfriends with tiger.