Mac OS X Support Essentials: worth sitting the exam?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In about 4 weeks time, I'm going on a Mac OS X Support Essentials (Mac OS 101) three-day course, fully paid for by my employer... but the exam fees, if I sit the exam, are about £120 or so which comes out of my pocket.

My day job is a graphic designer handling some fairly big jobs but I'm also the only one in our design team that knows their way, to some degree, around the Macs.

I'm wondering whether the exam is worth it, worth having the potential qualification on my CV for the cost of over a hundred quid... when I could buy some more RAM for my MBP instead. ;)

Thoughts?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i think on a CV a qualification looks better than saying my MBP has 4GB RAM. But if you need the ram....

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's not a really choice between the two, I'll get the RAM anyway. :p

It's more like, any future career moves will be in senior design and management, so I'm just wondering if this would be worth having and how relevant it would be for someone like me...

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

any qualification is a good idea, relevant or not, because it shows you can commit to learning new things. If you can get it, get it! Collect as many bits of paper saying all your skills as possible. Also, the qualification has the word support in it, always a good word if your looking into places of authority and management. "I can provide staff with support from training i received on this course, which I paid to sit the exams myself, showing my commitment to my career" or something like that..

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

You've sold me... that didn't take long. :)

Not that there's any guarantees that I'd pass it... but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thats the right attitude! Even if you fail, you can say you went on the course, just dont mention the exam. If you can afford these kind of things, always go for them!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Perhaps not in such a technical area that sits apart from my main trade. But I'll go for it anyway.

Besides, I'll then feel compelled to troubleshoot more threads here... which I won't of course. :D