Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
In windows, you can press Control + Alt + Delete to bring up a task manager that says exactly what programs are hogging what portion of your RAM. I was wondering how i could do the same in OS X tiger. I have a rev A 1.42ghz mini with 1gb of ram and average around 250-300 in free ram... that means that i am using like 750 mbs or so of ram constantly. I want to know where this is going. For instance, right now i have safari, mail, adium, and finder open and have 300 mb of free ram, meaning 724 used or so. Where is this RAM going.

PS: i coudlnt be happier with the performance of this machine, but would never reccommend anyone running under 1gb (all users that is).

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
TrumanApple said:
In windows, you can press Control + Alt + Delete to bring up a task manager that says exactly what programs are hogging what portion of your RAM. I was wondering how i could do the same in OS X tiger. I have a rev A 1.42ghz mini with 1gb of ram and average around 250-300 in free ram... that means that i am using like 750 mbs or so of ram constantly. I want to know where this is going. For instance, right now i have safari, mail, adium, and finder open and have 300 mb of free ram, meaning 724 used or so. Where is this RAM going.

PS: i coudlnt be happier with the performance of this machine, but would never reccommend anyone running under 1gb (all users that is).

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app is what you want. :)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Lets look at it this way. Why would you want unused RAM? what is the point in having all this RAM if your computer never uses it? OS X does a very good job at using all its RAM no matter how many programs. You can have 4 programs open and use the same amount of RAM if 8 programs were open. Unused RAM is just wasteful.

Activity Monitor shows where your RAM is and that is located in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
For the quick thing (like in pre 2000 Pro systems), press 'cmd option esc'. For the full thing (like in 2000 and XP), go to Apps:Utils:Activity Monitor

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
TrumanApple said:
I have a rev A 1.42ghz mini with 1gb of ram and average around 250-300 in free ram... that means that i am using like 750 mbs or so of ram constantly.

I guess, one more thing to keep in mind is total ram-free ram != used ram.
total ram=active ram+inactive ram+free ram.
And I think you can only qualify active ram as 'used ram'.

cheers

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Activity Monitor is good. But it is actually a processor hog. it easily eats up 5-10% of proccessing power. which i think is a complete waste. check out the SysStat widget:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/sysstat.html

i like it and it works well. and all you have to do is hit F12 (or whatever your dashboard hot-key is) and its there! plus it tells you a lot more than just RAM usage.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Also, i know there is a way to trace a ping... like through locations... how do i do that?

YoYoMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
wPod said:
Activity Monitor is good. But it is actually a processor hog. it easily eats up 5-10% of proccessing power. which i think is a complete waste. check out the SysStat widget:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/sysstat.html

i like it and it works well. and all you have to do is hit F12 (or whatever your dashboard hot-key is) and its there! plus it tells you a lot more than just RAM usage.

Thanks for that link

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
SysStat widget is great!
The two Aussie guys behind this widget and a heap of other great widgets, are always working behind the scenes to constantly improve their work as well!

I also heard that they are planning a major upgrade in the not too distant future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.