Mac OS X Tiger vs Ubuntu

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LeoTheLion1989, Nov 25, 2013.

1. LeoTheLion1989 macrumors newbie

This will probably be a long post.

I have a eMac 1GHz USB 2.0 model with ATI Radeon 9200 graphics. I have 1.5GB DDR RAM and a 120GB WDC 7200RPM Upgraded HDD and a upgraded SuperDrive from a PowerMac G5.

i do not have the money for RAM nor do i want to put any more money into this thing so here is where it gets complex:

I installed Mac OS X Tiger on this eMac I have been running Leopard on it since i bought it. Reason i put Tiger on it was because i have read it is much faster than leopard. I have a External HDD hooked up i use for Classic Environment and quite enjoy using Outlook Express 5 via Classic. But i still think i can do better i do not want to downgrade to Panther mainly due to it having next to no compatible software anymore that and i dont have a copy of Panther. So i was thinking maybe installing Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my eMac i have done it before but am cerious which is faster on my specs Tiger, Leopard or Ubuntu?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is entirely a matter of opinion and changes based on who you are talking to.

My vote is Leopard. I am strongly opinionated and biased to Leopard and have a strong dislike for Tiger because of past experience with it's more than generous instability in a server environment.

Others will swear by Tiger and are completely convinced that Leopard is as slow as molasses and that it should never be installed on any Mac because Tiger is superior.

I'm not in that camp.

Sorry, can't say anything about Ubuntu - never used it.

3. trevm999 macrumors member

I don't think Ubuntu 12.04 is the way to go here unless you replaced Unity with a lighter desktop environment. Unity is pretty resource hungry compared to alternatives.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Hello LeoTheLion89/Matthew55904/PowerMacFan/NuMackUsr/MacOSX1058/ComputerDude. Still have that 1.0Ghz single MDD?

5. LeoTheLion1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i do it suffered a power surge though it fried a 512mb stick of RAM and fried my AirPort Extreme card and crashed the HDD

----------

even on a core 2 duo 1.66GHz with 2GB RAM unity is a bit sluggish what about Kubuntu?

----------

Tiger opens programs faster but TFF is slow on Tiger most all apps i use work on Tiger (Except AIM) but Tiger takes FOREVER to boot Leopard boots much faster

6. wobegong, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

wobegong Guest

My opinion of Linux v OSX (for PPC machines), I use Linux on my work desktop (Intel) and have done for many years so have a pretty good experience with both :-

OSX (PPC) Pros

Built for your hardware, 100% supported in every single way
    Solid, reliable 'just works'
    Choice of Proprietary (but often old) software (Photoshop, Aperture, iLIfe, MS Office) AND some open source.

OSX (PPC) Cons

Old software versions for most apps.
    Some have security concerns being so old.

Linux (PPC) Pros

Modern, secure and fully up to date OS
    Highly highly highly customisable(!)
    Massive catalogue of up to date (Open Source/non proprietary ONLY!) software applications.
    Latest official Firefox, Thunderbird etc

Linux (PPC) Cons

Can be tricky getting all your hardware to work correctly depending what you have (eg. my speakers will not work with Linux as they are USB and need a driver, not available for Linux).
    Limited to Open Source software only as this is the only software able to be recompiled into PowerPC - No Spotify, no Skype, no Photoshop etc. even though some of these are available on x86 Linux.
    Generally whilst there are open source linux alternatives to popular applications you may have been using under OSX they are without doubt generally inferior in function and often (though not always) less stable. eg. Gimp/Photoshop, Clementine/iTunes, Shotwell/iPhoto etc.
    Little (ATI) or no (nVidia) GPU acceleration so virtually no gaming - not that there are many decent PowerPC Linux games available anyway.