mac os x to ext hard drive help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dorothyvalens, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dorothyvalens macrumors newbie

id like to take my os x leopard replacement discs and put them on my external hard drive using another computer running xp so i can boot the installation from a startup disc. help, please?

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hmmm, I think you can't do that because when installing OS X from an external I believe that all the information has to be on 1 DVD/partition.

So you would need a retail copy of OS X with all the info one a single disc.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do I understand you correctly?
    You want to copy your Leopard installation discs (which are a replacement) to an external hard drive, and you want to copy it via Windows XP, and then use the copied data to install on something else?
    Or do you want to boot from the copied data?

For copying your Leopard DVDs you can use Disk Utility to make DMGs (Disk Images).
    There are also a variant of applications on the windows side to copy DVDs.

Seems the above user understood.

4. dorothyvalens thread starter macrumors newbie

im able to use the second disc in the dvd drive, the 1st disc i want to run from the external. im just trying something so i guess my question is, how do i rip the dmg from my os x disc 1 onto my pc so i can put it on my ext hard drive to install on my macbook?

5. dorothyvalens thread starter macrumors newbie

my macbook wont startup so i need to reinstall, i want to boot up and install with the os x disc stored on my external hard drive

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I have no idea how to do that in XP. Why can't you do that on your MacBook? It's pretty simple all you need is disk utility.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Oh, I see. It's not necessary to do all that.

Just put in the first disc, restart the computer, and hold the "C" key on startup.

8. dorothyvalens thread starter macrumors newbie

my dvd drive has problems reading my os x disc because the lens is old and dirty, im pretty sure my pc could rip the data successfully so it would read from the ext hard drive, not the crippled dvd drive

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Then how is it going to read the second disc if your superdrive has problems? :confused:

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with making a bootable partition of OSX in windows. I wouldn't even know where to start.

10. dorothyvalens thread starter macrumors newbie