Mac OS X Unexpectedly Quit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calyxman, Jun 3, 2007.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Got this error message after my screen turned dark and I got a message that I needed to restart my computer. After restart, I got the message below. Anything to be worried about?

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Kernel panic!

It happens, but what were you doing when it happened? You might not want to repeat it.

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

It's not a simple as that.

If you want, paste the message that the crash report gave you. If you already sent the report, open up Console and look for a log called Panic.log

4. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I never saved the report. But it occurred while I was playing back one of the new iPhone commercials on Apple's website.

I did install new ram last Thursday, although I doubt that would be the cause.

Maybe it's a one-off event.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Hate to say there's a fair chance of it being bad ram, it's probably a good idea to run memtest.

http://www.memtestosx.org/

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

wow! a new record???

only 4 posts into a "my mac just crashed without explanation" thread and we have someone saying it's probably "bad RAM." Every time someone has an unexplained kernel panic, the OSX-has-no-flaws-so-it-must-be-your-hardware--Have-you-installed-any-third-party-RAM?'ers jump in and declare the solution to be "replace your RAM!"

Not to pick on you, Mord, and I know you didn't yet tell him to buy more RAM, but that's usually the next step, regardless of what memtest returns. That or "take out your RAM and re-seat it."

I wonder if maybe the people who suggest re-seating the RAM have ever installed a stick of DDR? it's a tight fit, and it isn't just going to fall out of its socket. If anything, macs tend to have tighter-fitting ddr slots in my experience. my G5's RAM had my fingertips hurting for a couple of days because it took so much force to get the chips into the slot—I thought I was going to break the RAM.

anyway, as SC68Cal mentioned, a crash log should help figure out what caused the problem. It almost certainly wasn't your RAM, though. Buy and run memtest if you like...by all means. it's only like a dollar or something.

7. Currer macrumors newbie

Hi

I came across this forum obviously because my mac keeps dying on me. I get an error message saying I have to restart it by holding down the restart button and when I do restart it, it tells me I had to restart it because my my OS X unexpectedly quit.
    It's quite old, it's a G4 and I've had it for years so I'm pretty worried there's nothing I can do to fix it, (or that it will be too expensive to fix) I'm yet to take it to anyone to see if it can be fixed, but if anyone has some advice for me it would be so greatly appreciated. My level of expertise would probably require anyone trying to help me to use very small words, as if they are speaking to a small child. It's sad to admit but I thought it better to be honest.

Thanks