Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polya80

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Cambridge, MA
My 10.7.2 update (Safari, security update and itune) is taking forever to install. After Software update prompts me to restart my computer, I clicked restart and a grey horizontal window pompts up that says
"Installing 3 items"
and a sentence below that says
"This may take a few minutes, do not shut down your computer"

However, this message has been there for like 3 hours+. Anyone know why? I have a very fast network, e.g. I can watch like 720p resolution on youtube without waiting for stream.

I am running mac OS X lion on early 2011 15" macbook pro.

Thanks!

jacdem

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
That is quite weird. You can repair permissions, reset PRAM and try again. I hope it can be installed then.

LatteMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Pacific NW, Seattle area
Lion 10.7.2 not completing reboot

I had the same thing happen on my Mac Pro. I ran the update and when the system went to reboot I also got the grey screen that never went away. I called Apple and they had me boot to safe mode. Shut down the computer using the power button. Hold down the shift key and keep it held down while you press the power button to start the computer. Keep holding the shift key until you see the apple logo appear. Let the shift key up and the computer will boot to safe mode.

When the computer started in safe mode it reported that it had (in my case) 2 items to install and showed the "progress" bar. at the end of installing the computer rebooted normally and then seemed to function properly.

Note: Since installing that update I have had periodic problems with shutting down or rebooting! When I try to reboot or shut down the screen goes grey and then the shutdown never proceeds! Still working on that and don't know if that is a result of the 10.7.2 upgrade instal hanging or if it is simply a problem with 10.7.2 in general.

ijellyfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Same...

Same thing happened with my iMac.... 1 1/2 hours. Rebooted in safe mode as done by LatteMan. Everything had installed/updated just fine. Thanks.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.