'Mac OS X update combined' ??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aven SkyGazer, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

13'' alum Uni MB

My Software Update feature has presented me with a 'Mac OS X update combined' update for 10.5.8 (as I am still running 10.5.6). The update is 768 MB large. What is confusing to me is that the 10.5.8 update on the apple downloads page http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1058update.html is 274 MB large.

Question is, may I just update off the apple download page and do a 10.5.6 leap to 10.5.8? or does my situation require the 'combined' update (as I think that one is including .7, no?) :confused:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you have 10.5.6, the 10.5.8 "Delta" update from the Apple support page will not work. There's a reason the one you can use is 768MB. It contains, as you said, 10.5.7 and 10.5.8, so it's naturally gonna be larger.

768MB really isn't that big, though, so what's the problem?

jW

3. Aven SkyGazer thread starter macrumors regular

Well i'm running 10.5.6 and I want to go to .8

im going with the combined update, since on the apple download page it suggest this update for any 10.5.X to 10.5.8 updaters. chose not to download the delta.

my question to you is, is there any difference in using the 'software update' as opposed to just downloading the combo update directly from the apple download page?

and also, if I download it directly from the apple download page, will the update you mentioned about the airport chips affected still be available to me if my macbook is one of those?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It's the same update whether you get it through Software Update or directly from Apple downloads. Either way is fine.

If your machine needs the Airport update, Software Update will pick that up too. Just keep running Software Update until it tells you your software is up to date and you're golden.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Combo Update: Updates Macs running 10.5.x to 10.5.8
    Delta Update: Updates Macs running 10.5.7 to 10.5.8

I always apply the Combo Update, probably just as a security blanket.

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

The Combo update includes all updates from 10.5.1 to 10.5.8. It may actually not be a bad idea to download this update and save it to disk for backup purposes as this is most likely the last point update for Leopard.