Mac OS X Updates Leopard, Can Updates be download to Desktop through Software Update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrules, Mar 24, 2008.

1. macsrules macrumors regular

Here's my question.

1. Can OS X Leopard Updates be downloaded directly to the Desktop instead of being directly installed from the software update Panel?

2. If it can, how do you change Software Update to Download them instead of just installing them? If when it is downloading them to install them and puts them in a folder on the hard drive, where is the folder that the updates you download are kept?

3. Why do I want this? Because I have more than one computer on my network and am setting up the ability to install all the updates at once. It will allso make it easier when reinstalling any of my computers. I know that I can go to the Apple Website and find all the updates, but since software Update panel is downloading and install these I should be able to get them on my computer so I can put them on a CD.

Any help would be great, Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Alas, you cannot tell it to download updates to wherever you want. You CAN tell it to "Download and Keep Package", though, which stores it in a Packages folder. Software Update will open this for you after it finishes downloading everything. This is an option in one of the menus - instead of just clicking Install in the Software Update dialog, choose that.

Beware - the updates offered for your Mac are not guaranteed to install on other Macs. Delta updates for Mac OS X and any update that isn't Universal are good examples. If you run into one of these, you'll need to download the appropriate update(s) from Apple's download section of their site and use those, instead, for the other Macs.

3. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

I see it, it is under the update menu on the software update application. I checked the menu in the system preferences but it just slipped my mind that it could be under the menu of the actual downloading window. I will set that up next time I do a clean install.

Much Thanks,

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

One thing i can do to help you is, go to

/Library/Updates/

There, will be all the updats that system updater downloaded (that you havn't installed yet)

What you can do is create an alias of this folder, and put that alias on your desktop... then you can even just rename it to "system updates". There ya go you have a folder on your desktop that keeps all your computers updates. :)