Mac OS X: Upgrading to Snow Leopard without Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Casey01, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So my friend got me Snow Leopard for Christmas and I want to upgrade my mac from Leopard to this but is there a way to upgrade without doing a clean install? Mainly because right now I have no external HDD. Only just two 2GB USB Drives which I already used to backup my pictures and documents. But if something goes wrong during the installation is there a way to go back to Leopard?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only way to to back to Leopard is to reformat and reinstall from your leopard disks

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

maflynn, you're beginning to drive me nuts with your utter lack of fact-checking. You do not, in fact, have to reformat, but simply perform an Archive and Install, which will 100% preserve all your data, barring a hardware problem or unusual circumstance.

That said, any operation on a computer is risky without backup, and if you're worried about your data, the best thing to do is go buy an external hard drive and back it up as soon as you can, and certainly before performing any major changes like an OS upgrade, even though it generally works fine for most people.

jW