Mac Os X Version 10.4.11 Not Reading Cd's/dvd's!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by electroboy, May 29, 2008.

1. electroboy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I wonder if you can help me out..

My drive is not recognising any blank cd/dvd when i put in computer.

Even a real cd or dvd is not getting any response either!

It has only started happening today! It's like the computer doesn't recognise it.

The computer just spits it out after a couple of seconds.

I've restarted and shut down but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? I'm using Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

I've also reset the PRAM and nothing has changed.

I can't copy cd'S, dvd's, can't play cd's or dvd's because the computer doesn't seem to register them!

I've also clicked on "About This Mac" but the "More Info" button is shaded and won't let me click on it!

I'm a novice so any brilliant, amazing, simple advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Restart your computer in SAFE BOOT:

Then after you login, run Disk Utility, and repair permissions on your boot volume. The quit and restart.

If that doesn't work, let us know what type of mac you have. You may need to do a PMU/SMU/SMC reset on it.

3. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

The "more info" button takes you to System Profiler. You can access it in the Utilities folder. (applications/utilities)
    See if it shows the optical drive from there.

Its possible that the optical drive is failing.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I don't think his optical drive is failing since it is taken the disc in and spitting it out (unless the laser is shot).

I think he has some corrupted cache files which would produce this problem and the fact that he can't access the System Profiler from the Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More info... button.

The Safe Boot should take care of most of the problems unless the optical drive is indeed failing.

5. electroboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've tried Reboot and still no joy with the optical drive accepting cd's, dvd's!

How do i do a PMU/SMU/SMC reset?

Thanks

Electroboy

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I said "Safe Boot", not Reboot.

This is done by holding down the shift key as soon as you here the bong upon restart or cold boot. You continue to hold the key down until you see the grey screen with the spinning gear. Then you can let go of the key. This type of boot takes much longer than a normal boot since it is deleting some cache files (hardware for instance) and running a file system check/repair. Eventually (could take 10 minutes or more) you will get to a login screen with "Safe Boot" in red.

However this should be done after the PMU/SMU/SMC reset has been done.

How you do these depends on what Mac you have (Intel, G4, G5 and model -give full details) as each one has different procedures.

7. electroboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Need More Help!

Hi,

Done Safe Boot, cleaned out the optical drive with compressed air and still it's not working!

Should i do a PMU/SMU/SMC reset on it?

How do you do this?

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

What is best to do i this doesn't work? Buy an external dvd/cd burner or get optical drive repaired?

Does it cost a lot of money to repair?

Thanks

Electroboy

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It all depends on what your computer is.

PMU reset is for PPC
    SMU and SMC resets are for Intels

Go to apple.com/support and search for PMU, SMU, SMC reset and find your model.

Again it all depends on what model you have.

9. jmmarketing macrumors newbie

Help for disk rejection

Wondering if the issue of your MacBook Pro rejecting disks upon insertion was resolved? I have the same issue? I haven't done a SMC reset as it doesn't appear from the comments here that it works.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO? If anything can be done?
    Also will a SMC reset lose my stored files on my harddrive?

10. lukemendes macrumors newbie

DVD and cd showing error not reading

Hi Even my drive is not recognising the dvd or cd's. and earlier i had a problem where my Powerbook g4 10.4.11 [15 inch] had display problems like bricks etc all over the screen. Everything worked fine like there were distorted cursors etc. Any one know what causes this? Been using this machine like a horse 6 years since and no issues until now.

Any advise on Display distortions, dvd not reading discs?

reg
    Luke