Mac OS X Version 10.5.x Question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mini-Mac, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Mini-Mac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have one of the first 17-inch Al PowerBook G4's running at 1 GHz (PowerPC G4). I was thinking about upgrading it to Leopard but I can't seem to get my Apple OS X Version 10.5 Install DVD to work on this older machine's SuperDrive. The DVD-R has just over 7 GB of data on it, so maybe it's a dual layer DVD-R that may not be compatible with the older MATSHITADVD-R UJ-815 (Panasonic?) internal SuperDrive. Is there a special DVD-ROM of Leopard I could order from Apple that will work on my older 17-inch PowerBook G4, or is this Leopard 10.5 install a BAD idea for this (going on five years old) portable Apple computer?

Thanks for reading my first post on MacRumors: Forums! :)

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i would just keep Tiger on it. but you may want to see if you can upgrade the firmware for that superdrive. maybe that will help. i'm not sure if it supports dual layer or not. does it read it at all or just not installing?
    good luck!

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Can you read the DVD in Mac OS? (try copying its entire content to a folder`). If so then you may need a retail disk to install.

If it wont read(which I would be surprised at then its only a single layer reader). I dont remember single layer readers being used by apple.

I had to get a retail Leopard to upgrade my Mac Mini from tiger.

(BTW I have also put the same retail Leopard on my old PowerMac G4 1GHz so I know that at least works)