Mac OS X Won't Boot Correctly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by radioman10, Mar 8, 2011.

1. radioman10 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi.

This afternoon I opened my 2008 unibody MacBook, and mashed the "On" button like normal. The computer made the startup noise and then displayed the normal grey Apple on the white background. Then, all of a sudden, the Apple logo, a file folder with a question mark, and the "no parking symbol" (without the P of course!) appeared and flashed repeatedly. On my phone, I then consulted MacRumors and Google about what could be going on.

After inserting the Snow Leopard install disk, the computer booted into that and I went into Disk Utility. I did both the verify and repair disk things under First Aid. It came back normal/fine. What makes things even more strange is I can click the restore tab (in Disk Utility) and click the Image... button and see ALL of my files on the Macintosh HD as they were when the computer was working correctly yesterday. So I know my files aren't gone.

I removed the Snow Leopard install disk and then tried to boot normally, but the annoying Apple logo/file folder with question mark/no parking symbol appeared again.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks in advance!

2. bbazzahh macrumors newbie

Hard Drive is failing.

Check the SMART status of the drive from Disk Utility.