Mac OS XI?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by radomu, Dec 14, 2010.

1. radomu macrumors member

radomu

Maybe this thread has been done a million times and banged on constantly, but is Apple hesitant to completely revolutionize the Mac OS to a XI, just because the current like of OS X's are so good?

Not only is 10 a good number (it makes for a good and simple design), but there has been a bunch of upgrades since the first one, with the 7th Lion coming out next Summer.

2. Queso macrumors G4

My guess is that the OSX branding will continue until they come up with something so different it justifies a complete change in name, but it's very unlikely they'll use OS XI. They'll more likely do a complete name change.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They will keep the OS X branding for a long time. Probably until it gets so old that they have to do a complete rewrite.

4. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

When Windows 7 looks more primitive than the First OSX, I find it hard to believe that anything's gonna change in the next ten years.

5. gorjan macrumors 6502

I hope they change to OS 10. It seems more classy, the X in brand names got cheesy a lot of years ago. It was cool in 1999, but come on.

6. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think it does. OSX started to look and feel right with 10.3 Panther. Before then it was a bit of a visual mess. Do you remember all those lines beneath blobby icons and brushed metal style windows?

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I personally think Lion will be the end of the road for OS X. After that we will see a more feature rich version of iOS hit our Macs.

8. gorjan macrumors 6502

No thanks, that will be the day I switch to Ubuntu. :(

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that apple will be embracing the iOs branding after Lion.

There was some news reports this past summer stating how Jobs and the apple trust was very interested in this idea. That is, create a iOS desktop, while it would still be "osx" it would be called iOS desktop, so that it unifies apple's offerings.

In a sense we're already seeing this with the addition of the marketplace for OSX, and the so called "iPadification" to the OS.

Personally, from what I see of 10.7, I see little reason to upgrade. Unless apple adds some major features to 10.7 that they did not show off (and I doubt they will). Lion is ho hum.

10. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

yeah, I forgot how it looked... but it was pretty damn better than OS 9. My father, being a graphic designer, still uses OS 9 for some reason.