Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
I recently purchased a KonicaMinolta Z3 camera and after checking that it was compatible with MacOS9 took it home and connected it to the computer. The manual describes the operation as being as easy as plug and play. However a window appeared on my desktop telling me the disk is unreadable by this computer, do I wish to initialise? By initialising the disk I have rendered it unusable by the camera. Unless I initialise the computer will not see the camera at all. What is going on?:confused: :confused: :confused:
I know it is a long shot but is there anybody out there who can tell me why my Mac is doing this? I am to say the least:confused: and a bit:mad:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
the problem here appears to be that the camera saves on it's 'disk' (it's flash memory card) in a file system that is unreadable by OS9, and when OS9 senses the 'disk' is connected but unreadable, it offers to 'initialize' it (wipe it clean and format it with a file system that OS9 likes better. apart from reading the manual and finding the OS9 instructions (good luck), I have no advice for you, theyre speaking different languages.

martin63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
First of all thankyou for a quick reply to my question.
All of what you say is clear to me and makes a great deal of sense. However the manual is perfectly clear, and its also written all over the box, that this camera is compatible with all operating systems, pc and mac, right back to OS9 and windows 98. Clearly this is not the case.
Thankyou all the same. :(

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Two thoughts:

(1) You might see if it works with a card-reader instead of the camera. Get one that's compatible with OS9. I think I may even have one still that worked with OS9 but not X.

(2) Search for drivers. I seem to remember when I had a USB card reader for my old Pismo G3, I had to download a driver to read the CF card.

Dave

martin63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Thanks Dave for your reply.
A card reader will be my next step. But I wonder wether my mac will ak me the same question as it may not recognise the format of the card once there are files on it. I'll have a go.
Also the manual for the camera makes it clear that no drivers are required for os9.
I hope I have joy, especially as the reseller has refused to reimburse me at all!:mad:
Thanks for your help.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.