Mac OSX 10.5.7 hangs on blue screen and message that spotlight quit :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Artmuzz, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I installed the 10.5.7 update yesterday on my iMac and had no issues with it. It was rebooting with no problems until this morning I tried to boot Mac OSX 10.5.7 and it hangs on the blue screen with just the pointer and a message telling me that spotlight has quit unexpectedly:eek:

I have tried switching to safe mode and still have the same problem and I have also tried to repair the disk on Disk Utility but it tells me that disk appears to be ok:confused:

I could reinstall Mac OSX but I don't want to loose files and music that I have on Leopard.

Please advise?

Art

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Then do an archive and install. It reinstalls the OS but keeps all of your settings and data.

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is that it was an upgrade disc I used to install Leopard on my Aluminum iMac as my iMac came with Tiger. I remember reading that the Leopard upgrade disc doesn't have the install and archive method. I tried installing again on the Leopard upgrade disc but it tells me that I have to install OSX Tiger first. :(

Could I use the archive and install method on the Tiger disc even though Leopard is on my machine without loosing files, mp3s and general data? or is Target Disk Mode my only final option to save my files?

Please advise

Art

4. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

This so called 10.5.7 update that Apple has release has been a complete and utter disaster as far as my iMac Aluminum (Late 2007) is concerned:mad:

I tried installing the 10.5.7 Combo Update from my MacBook Pro using Target Disk Mode to my affected iMac but once the install has successfully complete and I reboot my iMac it now just hangs on Blue Screen which at random changed to a darker shade of blue then a lighter shade of blue with the pointer and this goes on and on......its driving me freaking crazy.

Good News...I've stopped getting the "Spotlight has Quit" message on the blue screen

Bad News...I still get the blue screen though:mad:

On a lighter note 10.5.7 work like a charm on my MacBook though...Could this be a video card problem with my iMac?

Art

5. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Can somebody help me please! After all this is supposed to be a Mac forum and I thought there would be some helpful people on this forum that knew everything about Macs but I appear to be wrong :confused: - you can tell that I am now frustrated.

I have tried google searching for the problem to no avail:(

The problem I am having is mentioned above. I regrettably updated to 10.5.7 on my Late 2007 Aluminum iMac and the first day there was no problems booting. The next day I had problems as it wouldn't boot and all I would get would be a blue screen with a message telling me that Spotlight has unexpectedly quit.

The other day I connected my affected iMac to my MacBook Pro through Target Disk Mode and tried to reinstall 10.5.7 with the Combo update instead but I still get the same problem with it hanging on a blue screen when I reboot. One thing is I have stopped getting the message telling me that Spotlight has quit. a member on this forum told me to do an Archive and Install but I only have the Leopard upgrade disc and I am not prepared to spend more money on the retail disc.

The thing that confuses me is that the 10.5.7 update works great on my MacBook but not on my iMac..... Could it be a video card problem on the iMac?

Please advise

Art

7. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

The Leopard upgrade disc should have the Archive and Install option on it.

8. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The Upgrade disc doesn't have Archive Install as when I select drive to install Leopard and select Options the only options I have is to format the drive.

Art

9. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, Yes you're right the Leopard Upgrade DVD does have Archive and Install. With being worked up I selected the Bootcamp (winXP) drive instead of the Mac OSX drive by mistake. Now I can see Archive and Install :)

Art