Mac OSX and slow file copying

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by HyperX13, Aug 14, 2012.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

There is one thing that bugged me about OSX. To copy files is SLOW.

Let me explain.

I stick in a USB stick and copy 40 presentations, each 20 megs or bigger. On a PC at work running Windows 7 with a slower processor, it takes 15 seconds.

At home on a Mac pro with dual processors and 32 gigs of ram, it takes 60 seconds.

This is ALWAYS the case. No matter what computer, the windows side seems to be faster. I own 8 macs at home, and I am not slamming on macs. Its just seems that IO (ssd or regular) is SLOW.

Does Mountain Lion address this issue?

(btw even if I format the drive to the mac os extended its still as slow)

2. chrysek macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, but this is nothing, try to create encrypted DMG file, I used to be able to copy at 20 to 30mb/s to encrypted DMG image before, now its dropping to below 1mb/sec :( its freaking horrible, wish I never upgraded and paid apple money because each upgrade its actually worse than before from performacne perspective. I have 32GB RAM, i7 iMac and just drives me nuts the drop in performance :(

3. midtownhd macrumors member

I've experienced something similar, copying media files. Maybe it's the OS's IO or the file system. Windows does handle these operations better.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found that using the terminal command cp to be a bit faster so I don't think its the IO subsystem

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you folks copying to a FAT32 formatted USB key/drive by any chance? That will be much slower than copying to an HFS+ (Mac format) drive.