Mac OSX Boot Up Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heylookitskyle, Apr 14, 2011.

1. heylookitskyle macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 via .iso onto a CDR. I then shut down Ubuntu and the disk came out. I took it out and want to switch back to OSX. All I get on startup is a flashing Question Mark Folder.

I've tried all the bootup combinations, none seem to work.

Anyone care to help?

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Linux on Mac experience

The long and the short of it is this; Hate to say it, but you got far enough into the install process that is cleared the previous mac os install from your drive, but did not complete a complete install of linux on the drive.

If you do not have the original mac media for your computer, you are now left to look that ubuntu forums for some help on boot options to get things installed. It really is not all that hard, been there done that, just be aware that graphics issues can mess things up so make sure to hit F2 when you boot from the ubuntu disk. 9 times out of 10 if you remark video=ofonly at boot you will get to the desktop.

~Cheers
    Drake

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Yes it looks like you'll need a fresh install of OSX.

You could try running disk utility from the install disk just in case it is a system corruption that can be corrected rather than an overwrite.

4. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

What I am wondering is why you would install Ubuntu when you can just run Linux applications through X11.

5. heylookitskyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you so much guys for your help. I thought I messed my computer up more than I really did. I' sure I have a SL disk laying around somewhere.