Mac OSX dissapeared after security update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apattee, Dec 22, 2007.

1. apattee macrumors regular

So I was using my mac, and got the security update via software updates. I installed it, restarted it, and now the operating system isn't there. When I hold option on start-up, it only gives me an option of Windows - even though I don't have boot camp anymore - I did a couple days ago but got rid of it. I do have vmWare though. Anyway, where did my mac go? I'm on the verge of panicking here. Any ideas what happened, and how to get it back? Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Might be time for a fsck if you can run it.

You can also try to boot off of the installer DVD and see if the volume is there.

3. mpw Guest

At least you can revert to the back-up you did before adding new software.... right?

4. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

okay well booted up with disk to use disk utility but I'm not able to repair disk or anything in that box. And I did have a back up but I don't have my leopard disks, only tiger. Any other ideas.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Welcome to MacRumors. ;)

I'd get some Leopard discs unless your backup can be restored on Tiger.

6. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

can it? I have my external plugged in with the back up.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It might be a little annoying if it's Time Machine.

Otherwise most other solutions simply require you to run the application in restore mode.

Did you backup your entire system or just your user space?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's a Time Machine backup then you'll need to find your Leopard DVD.

9. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

its time machine. Okay but what the hell happened? My leopard disks are at school, so if I install tiger, download leopard, can I then get back to where I was?

10. mpw Guest

I've no idea, I was half joking...
    *thinks about backing-up for only the third time in 6years*
    **can't be arsed**
    ***now knows he's jinxed his HDD to fail within 24hrs***

11. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

okay, so I decided to reinstall tiger since I don't have my leopard disks but when I need to choose the destination my hard drive doesn't show up, yet I see it in disk utility but can't do anything to it there?

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Sounds like your partition scheme is corrupt. Disk Warrior may be able to fix it. Otherwise you will probably have to reformat (but hopefully only the OS X partition).

If it happens again in a short time, like a month, then it probably means your drive is failing.

13. pprior macrumors 65816

Argh! Same problem here.

I just downloaded and ran Diskwarrior based on recommendations here, and at same session applied the latest Security update and then shut down for the night.

Turn on my computer today and I'm at the installation assistant - it shows me my user logon screen, but once I pick my user name and then enter password it starts asking me questions like the OS was never installed.

I don't know if it was diskwarrior or the os update but ONE of them sucks, that's for sure. I've never had this problem before, and really am at a loss as to how to proceed. I'm afraid if I go through the installation process I'll lose what I had before.

I was running a parallels machine as well, and of course that's not time machine backup, so if I reformat I'll lose all that.

I left windows to avoid crap like this. I'd definitely recommend staying away from helper applications like diskwarrior based on this experience.

Sending this from the kids imac.

14. pprior macrumors 65816

Got it fixed - found a link somewhere else referencing an apple document.

Basically boot in safe mode (hold down shift while turning on) and then when you reach the sign in screen do NOT signin, but select restart and have the machine reboot.

I then got a blue screen for quite awhile, then booted normally.

Glad to be back again! Not sure which was the cause, but man that is nervewracking.