Mac OSX install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScottyMacUser, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ScottyMacUser macrumors newbie

I purchased a new MacBook 13" laptop over the summer and it has OSX 10.5. Can I use the disks that came with this to install OSX 10.5 on an older G5 tower?

I'm interested in converting the G5 to a gaming computer and partitioning with bootcamp so that I may play PC games.

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Install disks only work on the particular model they came with. PowerPC computers cannot run bootcamp either. You need an Intel machine for that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

no, the system discs included with your mac are keyed so they cannot be used on any other model.

Bootcamp (which provides a mac to run Windows) can only run on intel based computers, so you're out of luck with the G5 and loading windows onto that.

4. ScottyMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've been having issues partitioning my MacBook via Boot Camp and I haven't been able to work through it yet. I'll have to try again and record what the error message says. It said something to the affect of "use Disk Utility to partition". I did run Disk Utility to try and fix the issue but that didn't seem to help.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And they confer a license for that one computer anyway.