Mac OSX Installation Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geoffreak, Aug 5, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I decided today to try and install Mac OSX to a secondary drive, so I popped in my install disk and started the installation while running OSX.

All is going well until it asks me to put in the second disk. I hit the eject button on my MBP. Nothing happens, but the icon appears on screen to show the button works. I fire up disk utility to try and eject it from there, but the application informs me that the disk is in use and cannot be ejected.

Seriously, Apple? I cannot put in the second disk if you won't let me take out the first one!

I've got the OSX installer running still, trying to figure out how to go forward. I do not want to have to install OSX all over again to this drive...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think you can recover the installation if you power down at this point. I think I've done that before.

Also look into imaging. NetRestore is a classic with DeployStudio being the new kid.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Turn it off and just hold down the trackpad button while turning on the computer.

4. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think you misunderstand. I'm running the installer WHILE running OSX. I could just force quit the installation and eject the DVD, but I think I would have to start over at that point, so I don't know what to do...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can run the installer without having to reboot and boot off of the installer DVD media?

6. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yeah, by running open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages/" in Terminal with the install disk in.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I see what you did there.

Have you tried ejecting it via Terminal?