Mac OSX Leopard on Ubuntu Hardy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nobita, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I tried it several times with different tutorials but I never managed to get something that has no annyoing bugs in the gui. So I gave up.

I decided to switch from Windows/Linux to OSX :)

Tex ;)

3. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting the new macbook in a few days anyway. I'm thinking of turning my current old machine into a linux machine, or maybe something like this. This will challange my inner geek indeed =P

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Like Tex, I tried this back when I ran Ubuntu. It just made me want a mac more =]

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I've got a quad core PC with Hardy on it that I've skinned to mostly look like Leopard. I can also boot Vista on it, so any time I want I can choose if I want to boot Linux or Vista on a pretty powerful system or use Leopard on my Core 2 1.83 GHz Mini.

I end up using Leopard on my Mini more than 90% of the time. Why? Not because OS X looks better (which it does), but also because applications are mostly great (iLife, Keynote, Pages, Aperture, OmniGroup Apps), the integration between applications works better (Mail, iCal, Address Book, Media Browser, Applescript, Services), and also the time saving utilities are excellent (Quicksilver/Launchbar, Keyboard Maestro, HoudahSpot, TextExpander, Applescript). All this makes the beauty of OS X much more than skin deep.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree, blodwyn. I ran over and looked at the instructions on making Ubuntu look and feel more like OS X but in the end I just like OS X.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

I use both Linux and Mac OS. They are a lot alike. But the point of running and OS is so you can run applications. No matter what wall paper I put on my Linux system it just will not run Photoshop or Aperture or Final Cut. Those programs are the reason I bought a Mac.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Would it be unfair to say it seems like a lot of faffing around and effort for a pretty poor product at the end:

[​IMG]

I can't see the point, Ubuntu looks nicer out the box than it will once this theme has been applied.

9. jdwingnut macrumors regular

I don't think Ubuntu is a poor product at all. It's actually pretty good IMO, out of the box. I have been experimenting and playing with it as an alternative to Windows and OS X just to see its functionality.

I will be sticking with OS X for its ease of use and available software, and lots of other practical reasons.

IMO the downside to Ubuntu/Linux is having to perform many functions using the command line and compatibility with current software such as iTunes (this is a big deal for many). This will keep many a person from going beyond just "trying" it out.

I am currently attempting to get OS X, Ubuntu and Windows installed on external firewire drives so I can have a triple boot system, but admit that there's a learning curve that does take some time and patients to understand. This is not what most folks would consider doing with their Macs.

In the grander scheme of things, Ubuntu and Linux have opened my eyes to the Open Source world and "Set Me Free" for which I am glad to have additional choices. Using the live CD was true pleasure, especially knowing it didn't mess with any of my OS X files or folders.

10. jdwingnut macrumors regular

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Nor do I, I wasn't talking about Ubuntu, I was talking about the end result you get after following the multi-step process linked to above.

I was suggesting it wasn't really worth it when Ubuntu looks nicer out the box.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I will have to try this on my Ubuntu installation. I hope it can be easily reversed should I decide I don't like it though.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Excellent point. This was an interesting exercise anyway though.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree with elppa... when I had Ubuntu on my Eee, I set up some things like they are on my Mac (hot corners, in particular), some things like they might be in Windows (bottom palette with mostly the kinds of items that would typically be there in Windows), and other things that are like neither (ring switcher, in particular, which I love about Compiz). I'm happy with Ubuntu being Ubuntu (or Gnome being Gnome, FWIW) and OS X being OS X.

(The reason I discontinued Ubuntu on my Eee had to do with persistent problems getting some of the hardware functions like sleep/wake to work on my Eee in Ubuntu 8.04... I had 7.10 working excellently, but the default Linux build the Eee uses boots in ~20 seconds and works for what I use it for. I might yet try Ubuntu again, though, when Intrepid is finalized).