Mac osx mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madrox910, Jun 28, 2008.

1. madrox910 macrumors newbie

If one was to accidentally uninstalled the mail application for their mac....would there be a way to get it back without having to reinstall the os?

yeah I kinda messed up. either my mac didnt come with "mail" or i uninstalled it the second i opened my computer.
    I assume the latter :p

Im new to mac and help would be appreciated.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

ok pop in the Disc one of the Mac OSX and an installer should come up with folders look in each of the folders it should be in one of them

3. madrox910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help "italiano40" I was able to find the my install disk and located the files. If im not mistaken It appears that I have to achieve and reinstall my os. This is apparently because I opted to easy install my os when I first got my comp. weird I think... I hope this doesnt come back to bit me. Thank you again for your help.

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

No Stop!

You don't need to reinstall your OS…find the optional installers package on your install CD and then select something like Install Mac OS X Applications (whichever one contains mail) to just reinstall those applications.

EDIT: See attachment, you can choose to just select mail.

Attached Files:

5. madrox910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thank you "TheReef" I was just just about to achieve and reinstall...when something told me to check the forums again.
    I hope this doesnt sound stupid but I followed your advice and checked out the attachment.
    I got to the point when Im to select the boxes. But when I try to check the boxes of the apps I want to install I cannot. The boxes are all grey and all say skip. For whatever reason I cannot check any of the boxes. ad depicted in the attachment. Am I doing something wrong?

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Hmmm, I don't know what the problem could be.
    Are you sure the boxes are grayed out? Mine has skip, but I can still click the boxes which turns them to "upgrade" (or in your case "install" for Mail I would assume).

7. madrox910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately yes. I notice in the picture how it says skip as well. But i cannot for the life of me check the boxes. I click click click away but it never changes. I dont get it. I do very much appreciate you helping me though. But I dont know where to go from here. I cannot check the boxes. I dont know if this helps but In the step by step install process it skips the choose destination step. I thought that was kinda weird.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you sure you actually deleted mail.app and didn't just remove it from the dock?

Check your Applications folder to see if it is there.

9. madrox910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi "swiftaw" thank you for you input as well. But unfortunately I checked my apps folder and I couldnt find any trace of the mail application. I even used the spotlight and nothing shows up for mail. :/