Mac OSX Not Booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsavvytech, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Macsavvytech, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

OK i was on my Mac Book Pro doing some website work yesterday, i finish so i decide to restart my computer into Windows to do some gaming :) This morning when i tried to boot OSX it failed to boot until i had to go to work. Ive come home to find Windows working fine but OSX Wont Boot.
    On Boot up i get the normal apple symbol and the whirly thing and then a grey loading bar appears at the button for a bit it doesn't, change then disappears and the whirly thing just keeps whirling!
    I obviously don't want to reinstall so i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    Computer is in sig

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Boot into install CD, use disk utility to scan and repair permissions on the OSX install partition.

3. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Ill do it now. I dunno how i forgot to do that maybe being on holiday without my comp for 2.5 months ;)

4. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Had this problem a couple of times the past 6 months... Basically the HFS file system goes kaput and needs repairs... Unfortunately Disk Utility sux at repairing it so I had to use different apps...
    I always have an Mac OS X installation being an outdated SuperDuper cloned partition or a fresh install on an external HDD.
    On that partition I've installed Tech Tool Pro and DiskWarrior. If neither works to fix the HFS partition I use SuperDuper from that backup system... Clone the OS partition to the external HDD (on a different partition than the one the backup OS is booted from) than format and then clone the cloned ;) partition back to it;s original place... This takes about 3-4 hours to complete but it's significantly less if I have to reinstall the whole OS, apps etc. or restore from TM...

5. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Fingers Crossed Fixing Permissions will do it but im having to do some work in Windows at the moment and cant restart to test it yet ;(

6. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The volume won't mount here is the result of the first aid verify (repair fails)
    Verifying volume "Macintosh HD"
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    invalid leaf record count
    (it should be 191 i instead of 681)
    Invalid B-tree header Invalid map node
    checking catalog file.
    Keys out of order
    The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. click Repair Disk