Mac Osx or Windows on a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shuey, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Shuey macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just purchased my first Macbook today, I haven't set it up yet. I'm use to using a windows computer with the OS as Windows I've never used an Apple OS. So is it worth learning the apple OS or should I run bootcamp and just use Windows? Also I'm going to be doing a lot of coding/programming for my college so which OS would run these programs better/faster. I don't know the benefits or the obvious ones if they're are any. Suggestions of any sort would be great.

Thanks!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don't see why anyone would buy a MacBook to use only windows on it, not meaning to be offensive, it just doesn't make sense.

It's very easy to get used to OS X, just give it a bit of time. Installing Windows for certain programs without Mac versions may be smart (especially for testing code) but I would run OS X as the primary OS.

3. Shuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you easily swap between os x maverick and windows? Like let's say the programs for coding I use requires windows but I want os x mav to be my primary can I switch just like that or is it a whole like rebooting, etc involed?

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Rebooting is fast with an SSD, and Macs resume like nothing happened after a reboot (even open documents). But to run both OS's at once (very convenient) get Parallels or VMWare (not expensive). The main reason you'd choose to Boot Camp instead might be specific hardware peripheral support, or faster game support.

If you want BOTH (rebooting AND simultaneous) from a single Windows installation/license, I've never done that but it can be done. Not sure whether Parallels or VMWare is the choice that works best with Boot Camp at the moment.

And yes, OS X is a terrific OS, well worth getting to know!

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Do you know what languages or applications you'll be needing to use?

As for example if you will be programming using the .NET platform, C# or you are expected to use software like Visual Studio then you will need to do your programming on Windows. Likewise if it is Objective-C then that is OS X only.

Alternatively if they expect you to use languages like C, C++, Java, Python etc... then you can use pretty much any OS you like. Though in this case I prefer OS X or Linux over Windows.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Depends on your usage. If you need to run Windows apps and a Virtual Machine won't cut it, you;re probably best off suited running Windows.

Saying that, have a play around with OS X first, see if it has the software and features you need. :)

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

These are questions the OP should have asked before buying...

Macs are better at running OS X. They will run Windows fine, but are not optimised for it. Battery life is much shorter than under OS X for example.

Unless you need bare metal hardware access (e.g. gaming) then I'd run Windows inside virtualisation software like Parallels or VMWare.