Mac OSX Server Explained (User accounts)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by funtime180, Aug 27, 2011.

1. funtime180 macrumors newbie

For example, I have on my home network a mixture of Macs and PCs. I would like ti setup so that when a user approaches a machine, they can log on with a username and password and still have access to all the files and apps and settings that they had on their last session at the other machine. Can I achieve this with OSX server?

2. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

It should be pretty easy... I'm still a bit of a novice at OS X Server, but from my understanding, you'd set up a standalone Open Directory server. You'd create your user accounts in WorkGroup Manager. Set up all the properties to map the user homes back to the server etc... Then, bind your Macs to the Open Directory server.

From there, it should just all fall into place... You can manage your Macs and users from the Server.

I know that's lacking a lot of the details on how to accomplish that, but I don't actually have that setup. Just from what I know, that's how I think it would be accomplish. If you Google the individual parts of it, there should be ample documentation on the net.

I hope that helps!