Mac OSX Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by rigelisonfire, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rigelisonfire macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

I have been thinking about putting on my mac. I am a bcit student in Canada studying networking. I would like to able to remote access my computer from my work station at school. I saw that OSX server can do that among many other things that would be nice to have but could I still install boot camp too?

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

3. rigelisonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

What would I use to do this then? OSx Server is just so cool adn that was my thought?

4. phil29 macrumors newbie

5. applehockey macrumors member

applehockey

Are you able to install and use Mac OS X Leopard Server off of a MacBook or iMac? Or do you need a Xserve, etc?

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can use it on those computers if you really want.

7. applehockey macrumors member

applehockey

Would I be able to install and run my server to 4 other computers throughout my house from my MacBook? (I also have an Airport)

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just reread the system requirements and apparently it requires a desktop computer, so only the Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro and Xserve are compatible.

Mac OS X Server is overkill though for a home network and not worth the money. Just get a dirt cheap PC and install Linux or FreeBSD on it.

9. applehockey macrumors member

applehockey

Would Mac OS X Server not install on a MacBook or would is it just not recommended? Is there a way around this?

10. viggen9 macrumors member

I run Mac OS X 10.5 Server on a MacBook Pro and it works just fine for what I use it for.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

There's a recipe for disaster, or, at the very least, a method for a novice spending countless hours tweaking an alien system to do something already built into a Mac. Linux and it's boast of simplicity for the uninitiated is a damned lie at least.

Don't need any of that stuff for what he wants to do. Look at his original question. Merely set the router to pass vnc to the mac.... at work type Menu>GO "vnc://IPADDRESSatHomeThere" and he has control.
    It's the K.I.S.S. principal at it's finest.
    "Studying Networking" can mean so many things, and I think that the two thoughts in the original post are not connected. "Controlling a Mac remotely" and "Network Studies" really have little in common.
    HOWEVER, if it's Apple Server he's interested in, that's another story, and it runs fine on a machine the specs say it can run on and then some. And Mr. AppleHockey, OS X Leopard server is very, VERY cool.