Mac OSX Snow Leopard and Maya 2010

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klazer, Jul 3, 2009.

1. klazer macrumors newbie

I can't find very much on this, but I am wondering how likely it is that Autodesk Maya 2010 (or other future releases) will be much more advanced on Snow Leopard. For example, finally having a 64-bit version for Mac. It would seem quite sad that for such an advanced program as Maya, for it to be limited only to a non-advanced OS as Windows. I've heard that it is possible, and that once Maya is available for Mac in 64-bit, it will be far superior to that of 64-bit Windows. Thanks!

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I don't think Maya 2100 will be 64 bit let alone 2010.

Honestly, go with maya on windows its so much better to use in so many ways.

3. Jedipottsy macrumors newbie

Lol...windows and linux are primary platforms for Maya, always have been and always will be. Also mac will always be worse than windows due to workstation graphics cards and driver support alone.
    Also Maya won't be 64bit until it is completely re-coded to cocoa. Apple didn't create a 64bit carbon framework and have stopped carbon altogether. Untill apple allows customers to use their own hardware Maya will always be a secondary thought for autodesk.

4. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

All I can say is wait and see...Otherwise, the only choice is to wait for other 3D apps like Cinema4D and Houdini to get close to Maya, they're already on the right path. But hey, weren't they making a poll to bring back AutoCAD to the Mac? Maybe it means that they're getting more interested in OS X...As its market share increases, they will eventually have to make a x64 Mac version.

5. Jedipottsy macrumors newbie

It will be a while before C4D is on the same level as Maya, however Houdini is already far beyond Maya imo, only problem is that most companies and people are used to using Maya for its ease of use and program-ability. Even if Maya 2010 is 64bit for OSX, its still doubtful that most of the good plugins will be made widely available for OSX.

Bootcamp is your best bet.

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Houdini is indeed an advanced dynamics package but maya does a hell of a lot more than just nice effects. Most (all?) facilities will have houdini licences to do particle effects and when they're called for but there is a lot more to it than just "buying" houdini; you have to train staff/hire in artists, integrate it all into your pipelines and possibly other companies pipelines this all takes time and money - maya can do most that houdini can, it's just that houdini can do it quickly and looks great!

Amen to using Bootcamp! The only thing i use macs for on the VFX side now is for shake (and even that is going to have to give way to nuke one day :( )

Apple really are idiots abandoning shake.

7. iPhonatic macrumors member

I have Maya 2010 on my new 27" iMac and I have to say it runs like garbage. every single click no matter what your doing (selecting, scaling, rotating) causes a pinwheel delay. It's literally like 3 seconds from the time of clicking till the time it actually reacts. some google searching says that autodesk is aware of the incompatibility with leopard and their "working on it". Their advice right now is to not upgrade to leopard. Terrible.

8. whyrichard macrumors 68000

still no good? with 6.2?

r.

9. asgllc macrumors newbie

rEFIt and OpenSuse

forget running maya on OS X. download rEFIt, follow the instructions to set up a multi-boot system. it really is far from rocket science. next download an OpenSuse 10.2 live disk (or whatever the latest build happens to be at the time of reading this) and install the RPM files from your maya DVD on openSuse.

you will use your exact same aw.dat file to license the program in linux as you did in OS X.

I've stuck with the Gnome desktop and in order for Maya to run properly you must turn compiz visual effects to normal, or the application really doesnt run.

and POOF! you'll see maya runs as it SHOULD. in fact you'll probably notice this right upon launching it for the first time. I'm on a 2 x 3 GHZ quad xeon w/ 16 GB ram and maya launches in about 3 seconds.

that's just the beginning of the smiles you'll soon be wearing.

10. Klimax macrumors newbie

No problems

I had same problem, but it´s solved:).
    I created a "New account" for my Mac.
    I log in on my old account, start up Maya 2010, the problem is there, lagg.
    Then, quit Maya, log out from the accout and start up the new one.
    Start up Maya 2010. Nice, it´s working nice;)