Mac OSX Tiger to Snow Leopard Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slidelewy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. slidelewy macrumors newbie

Hi peeps

Posting for a friend who has just purchased Snow Leopard Box Set and wants to upgrade from Tiger.
    She was half way through the installation when she thought that Snow Leopard had not asked her to back up and she cancelled the installation half way through (not sure how, think she just turned off her Mac).

She turned it back on but the only option it is giving her is too continue with the installation of Snow Leopard.
    What she wants to know is will the erase all her data on her hard drive, or will she still have her files located in Documents/ Downloads etc when the installation is complete. I know when I upgraded from Leopard all these files were still present, I'm not so sure if it is the same with Tiger.

Shes really worried about this as she has some valuable files in there so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

She will be fine to carry on. There is a minor risk that some files may be corrupt, but to be honest you get that with turning a computer on, so I would say go ahead and continue the upgrade.

I would suggest she backs up her data files after the upgrade has completed just in case there are any application incompatibilities and she needs to clean install either snow leopard or tiger again.

3. slidelewy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that.

So your saying all her files in the relevant folders will be there once the upgrade is complete. That's all she cares about really, she can always back up these files and then do a clean install of Tiger/Snow Leopard if anything is corrupt.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Yes, all should be OK