Mac Osx Urgent Help (restoring the operating system)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gaogier, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Gaogier macrumors regular

Hello, going to sleep after this, had a very stressful day.

I upgraded my mac, to the latest version of the OS. Half way through the update, the power went, and my whole system, is messed up.

I thought, its ok, ill re install it from the disk, ill only lose software that i have installed, all my data is backed up, its fine. After 1 hour of installing mac OSX.5 the loaded, fine... but a few problems.

The software that came on the mac, is not there now.
    My mac keeps restarting my Airport.

My question, if i use the disks that came with my mac, can i have the software back on OSX.4 and then upgrade it like when OSX.5 came out? Would i have hte software back? The software I am talking about, is things like the following.

Ilife06
    Bigbag board games or something?
    that comic software
    much more?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can install iLife by inserting the gray disc that came with your Mac after you install 10.5, just click Install Bundled Software only.

Have you installed all the updates, the airport fix might be in there.

3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm not sure if it will install the games and such again, but I think they are there.

5. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Well the apps must be on there somewhere, seeing as the DVD cannot be modified (it is not a DVD-RW) so make sure you click Customize, and check all the apps you want.

6. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I have all my apps that was on here originally. Trying to install Ilife09 from life 06, but it wont take, trying one more time...

Also had this problem a while ago... which was one of the main reasons why i re-installed osx.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=652233

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Did you do a reformat after the blackout? If not, start over, do system updates, then start re-installing your software. Also you shouldn't have to upgrade from iLife 06 to 09 if you're doing a clean install, just install 09.

8. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I have all software from tiger, including ilife06. I think i have installed 09, but the icons have not changed, whys this? need to logout and login?

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The only icon that has changed between iLife 06 and iLife 09 would be the iMovie one which should look like the Hollywood Walk of Fame star.

10. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the icons did not change, they updated, not changed, even imovie.

I was expecting different icons for them all. not just one.

I got the icon to show up, and working great. Love how iphoto works. shame i dont have many photos now. (all my photos are about 12+ years old)

Anyone know why my Imac is having problems starting up?