Mac OSX Windows 7, big problems.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Noztra, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Noztra macrumors newbie

I installed windows 7 on my macbook air today, everything worked fine. When the install was finished, I saw that I only had 4 gigabytes left of disk space. I tried several methods to make it bigger.
    I tried this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2670-partition-volume-extend.html
    I did the one with the CMD.
    Then, when I rebooted, this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR67i5iovoI

It keeps blinking, and when I press ALT to go to the mac partition, it's not there, only the windows 7 partition.
    Help D:

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

It's unfortunate that you did not understand you don't really have a Windows only computer, you have a Mac OS and Windows dual-boot computer. And the resulting partition layout is unique.

The instructions on the first URL you followed, assume you only use Windows. When you used the Windows utility to resize the Windows volume, it breaks the GPT partition scheme that Mac OS depends on: a.) the secondary partition is corrupted, b.) the primary partition is rendered invalid. And c.) if you actually followed Option 1 step 1, or Option 2 step 1, you deleted your Mac OS partition in order to make room to resize Windows. If that's what you did, the simplest and cheapest solution is to start from scratch: boot from a Mac OS X DVD, repartition the disk with 1 partition, restore from backup, rerun Boot Camp Assistant and this time correctly choose the correct partition size BEFORE you install Windows, install Windows, reinstall your applications, and restore whatever Windows data you've backed up.

If you didn't back up, it's yet another sad story of data loss as a result of no backups. You're now a candidate for data recovery which is extremely time consuming or expensive or both (days to weeks).